Published Wednesday, July 6, 2011 AT 12:18 PM / Updated at 12:18 PM
Change at Fort Scott CC
Rich Kaipust Omaha World-Herald

Something to watch going forward will be the football recruiting relationship between Nebraska and Fort Scott Community College now that head coach Jeff Sims is leaving the school in the Little Ozarks region of southeast Kansas.

According to the FSCC website, Sims has resigned his position to become head of recruiting at Indiana.

Since February 2009, NU has signed receiver Brandon Kinnie, linebacker Lavonte David, offensive lineman Jermarcus Hardrick and receiver Stanley Jean-Baptiste out of Fort Scott.

Sims told me last summer: “I really think the whole pipeline, or whatever you want to call it, has been developed off relationships. If I care about a kid, I’m going to send him somewhere where I know I trust the people. I trust Nebraska, and that’s why my guys go up there.”

Sims previously had worked with NU defensive coordinator Carl Pelini at Minnesota State-Mankato. The MSU head coach at the time was Jeff Jamrog, now Nebraska’s assistant athletic director for football operations.

Fort Scott offensive coordinator Curtis Horton will take over as head coach of the Greyhounds. Horton joined Sims’ staff in 2007.

At Indiana, Sims will join a staff that includes former Nebraska assistant Mike Ekeler, who was named the Hoosiers’ co-defensive coordinator last December.

About Rich Kaipust

Rich Kaipust is a staff writer for The Omaha World-Herald and covers Nebraska football. You can follow Rich on Twitter (@RKaipustOWH) or email him at rich.kaipust@owh.com

Comments

1. John says:

There’s no change in the pipeline. It’ll flow every bit as well as it always has. . .

. . . just now it’ll flow to Indiana.

2. Bryan says:

Well John, I thought about that myself. Obviously, Jeff Sims knows his business as looking at the talent that we got from FSCC under his command. But, I still have to believe that we will still get our fare share of top quality players as Indiana has NEVER been known to be a football school. I can conceive of us losing out on a player or two, but if he is a top player such as L. David, I believe that we still will win that battle. GO BIG RED!!!!

3. Darren says:

If the new coach wants his top players to succeed beyond jc, both athletically and academically, Nebraska is going to be one of their #1 destinations. It’s not that far to Lincoln so they can see games and the campus up close. We’re going to work hard at getting Fort Scott players as long as the top talent keeps going there which means they need to keep winning. Indiana is no threat to anyone. I wish Coach Sims well in his new job. He’s been a good friend to us.

4. Will says:

Darren brings up a logical thought.. “We’re going to work hard at getting Fort Scott players as long as the top talent keeps going there which means they need to keep winning”.. If they falter and another JC school emerges as a farm system you can bet that Bo and the assistance coaches will be there forging new relationships.

5. LBCskersfan says:

This isnt that big of deal. Most of the kids who go to JC’s are placed by the d-1 school they couldnt get into anyway. A couple of years ago we had the same string of success at Butler. Its obvious that NU strikes when the iron is hot a JC program and then moves on.

1. HskrChef says:

Butler never lost it’s “Hot Iron”, look at the players they’ve placed around the country recently and in the past. The staff could benefit greatly by rekindling their relationships in Kansas. Relationships and proximity are key here.

6. Zecharia Sitchin says:

The coaches now have the program in place & fewer JC’s will be required. Until we know the relationship with the newbee we could be just fine with him.