Published Tuesday, November 29, 2011 AT 10:33 PM / Updated at 11:23 PM
Recruiting: Meyer hire may hinder NU
World-Herald Sports Omaha World-Herald

Mike Schaefer of HuskersIllustrated.com wrote Tuesday on the topic of how Urban Meyer’s hiring at Ohio State may affect NU’s ability to recruit in Ohio.

“It’s definitely good for their program,” said 2012 Nebraska commit Greg McMullen of Akron. “It’s rare for one coaching legend to leave a program and legacy for another one to come into it. It’s unheard of.”

But the four-star defensive end isn’t wavering on his allegiance to NU.

“Congratulations to Urban Meyer and Ohio State, but I’m a Blackshirt. I’m not going anywhere,” McMullen said. “I don’t have a reason to, because he can’t do anything for me.”

While McMullen remains firm for the Huskers, Meyer’s hiring could make it harder for the Huskers and coach Bo Pelini to pull highly touted recruits from the state, 247Sports Midwest recruiting analyst Steve Wiltfong said.

Click here to read the full story on HuskersIllustrated.com and click here to see McMullen’s player card

About World-Herald Sports

The World-Herald sports desk. Contact the sports desk at 402-444-1201 or sports@owh.com.

Comments

impending doom

1. highdef says:

… that’s what I’m sayin.

2. Colorado Springer says:

Are you really Lee Barknecht? You sure seem to have a lot in common in your outlooks. Lee could then be negative all the time and attack Coach Pelini without fear of repraisal. Its an old political trick where pen names are used to cover identities. Then one can attack with relative impunity.

1. mosier says:

Honestly wouldn’t suprise me if it’s an OWH person trying to stir up our reactions.

2. Colorado Springer says:

Barfknecht

3. Jim says:

Before we get too bummed out about Meyer’s ability to recruit consider just a few facts: 1) Meyer stayed at Bowling Green on 2 years, and Utah only 2 years, so he never really was playing with “his recruits”. 2) Meyer inherited Tim Tebow basically. I live in Jacksonville, FL and Tebow was going to Florida regardless of who came in to coach. Meyer also inherited Ron Zook’s recruits and everyone down here knows Zook was one hell of a recruiter, if nothing else. 3) Meyer’s recruits ended up with 35 arrests, 21 of which were of a quite serious nature. 4) When Meyer left the Florida program, he left it in a mess talent wise (again…his recruits) and it showed his last year there and again this year. So – is he a good coach? Yes he is – but he has stepped into 3 very good programs with very good existing talent as well. Now he steps into Ohio State who again has very good talent and a young ‘spread option’ QB much like Tebow was. So – another easy road for Urban Meyer is on the way. But as a recruiter and evaluator of talent…..not so sure.

2. Charles N China says:

Good to see another one of your negative, poorly thought out with no facts to back-up your statement comment again NUCORNDEVIL. You truely are clueless.

3. There are only so many recruits any top school like Ohio State can get. Nebraska has always recruited the whole United States and will still have success doing so because Nebraska like Ohio State is still a household name.

1. highdef says:

… good point. Guess you’re saying even Ohio States leftovers will be good. Unless they go to Wisconsin, MI?

2. mosier says:

Agreed. NU was rarely going to beat OSU head to head for the top local guys anyway. We’ve always had to beat out the second tier teams (A&M, Oklahoma state) then train them. Not sure we ever beat Texas out for one single recruit that they offered early during our time in the big Texas. Even when they were terrible. Luckily they couldn’t ID talent very well.

4. mac says:

Other than our home grown assets we’ve always had to cherry pick around the country and we’ll get a few from Ohio and Ill. However, I will concede that OSU,Mich and Wisc will dominate in the Northern states…just as Tx, OU and A/M did in the South. Maybe we’ll grab a few more from Kansas and Colo with the demise of those programs. Mizzu’s move into the SEC should help them as it’s w/o question the best cfb in the last country. Imho, I believe we are in for a long and difficult journey just to compete in the BIG let alone anything national. Bo’s been at the helm 4 yrs and is yet to beat anyone of legitimate stature.even in a down BIG year we weren’t really competitive…and that’s after all the coach-speak of the strengths of this team, I.e., the o and d lines, the db and the qb. Some projections have us playing Arkansas in a bowl game. I hope not as they are probably the 3rd best team in the country. We don’t need another schellacing on nat’l tv. I sound pessimistic because I am.

1. huskerred says:

Arkanas, S. Carolina or Georgia are all great teams. Neb is surely got their work cut out for them. But I still believe any team, anytime and anywhere. Go Big Red!

2. I guess MSU is not a team of national value eh, we played 5 teams this year that ended up in the nations top 25 deffenses. We won 3 of those games. We played 2 teams with with 10 wins and one one of those games. The game we did not win was to a team that was top 10 both on offense and defenense. The other is playing in the BIG championship. We played two 9 win teams and split them. The one we lost to is most likely going to play in a BCS bowl so I can see they have no national importance also. We have played 9 teams that are bowl eligable and won 6 of those. All of that done with major injuries to both of our lines. Football games are won in the trenches. I wonder if our winning the OU game two years ago was not beating a team of national stature. We have played arguable one of the most brutal schedules any team in the nation has faced this year. I wonder what the rest of the world would say about PSU, OSU, Michigan, UW & MSU. I am sure they would not agree with you that those teams are not of national stature. You may be pessimistic about our chances of winning the BIG but I believe our chances are just as good or better than any of those 5 teams. None of them will ever have an easy road to the cxhampionship.

3. highdef says:

… you hit the nail on the head, shellacking on national tv is only a few weeks away unfortunately. Unless of course you remain a Stepford Fan and are still gagging on the K-Mart koolaid. We’re in for a ton of hurt no matter who we play, SEC or otherwise. But with the 7 plays Beck taught K-Mart, we should be fine. And heck, all the “fundamentals” that Bo has been teaching all these years is worth something, right?

4. mosier says:

OSU and Mich will dominate their states but we will still cherry pick there and still recruit better than UW. Not sure Mizzou to SEC helps them much, it’s more about winning and they’ll likely be doing less of that. Just like everyone who switches conferences does while they’re getting used to ELEVEN new teams.

5. Couldn't Resist says:

You know they’ve taken handing out blackshirts too far when we start giving them to recruits. :)

1. If he is a 4 or 5 star recruit and it lands them then I say it was just enough.

whatever it takes, all Pelini can offer is money or early playing time, ask Turner, Green and Abdullah.
      The Pac12 is blowing things up with Leach @ Washington State, ASU and UCLA have yet to lock down Sumlin from Houston, word down here Tressel and that cat from the Jaguars, Del Rio are sniffin the hallways.
      gonna be hard to grab Peat or D.J. Foster from those prima donnas.

6. hskrpwr13 says:

Let’s collectively not lower our standards just because OSU hired a potential legend, er leader. I still expect NU to be in the Nathional Title hunt every year. Our current staff needs to reach those expectations, not have the expectations lowered.

1. Goffer says:

Amen Brother

1. mosier says:

I still have high expectations and believe Pelini can win the NC here. However to compete for the NC every year seems unrealistic with one loss and we’re out where as the SEC can lose one to two and still get in over us. If we’re are in top 10 consideration and fighting for BCS bowls I will be happy. A year like this is neutral to me, not what I hoped but not disappointing when I factor in injuries, schedule, conference etc.

1. Lanny says:

SEC can stay atop the polls despite losing a game for a reason. A lot of power house teams. The more strong teams we have in the B1G the better. Quality wins equates to Not-So-Devastating losses. If LSU loses the championship, they still go to the National Championship game because they have beat so many great teams. Bring on Urban Meyer. I truly hope Ohio State gets back on top again. At least then, beating them will mean something. Stack the conference and we will compete with the SEC again.

2. highdef says:

… with any luck, hopefully “our staff” won’t be here much longer, and we can get a new staff that knows what they’re going after. The Taking of Pelini 1-2-3 is a bust.

7. huskerred says:

Well a four star out of Ohio says Meyer has nothing to offer him. Imagine that! As I have stated many times Meyer is going to have a hard road to hoe with the NCAA sanctions looming. Kids do not want to be punished and not be able to compete for things that transpired before they arrived. For all those who worship Meyer’s mere presents, I say, time will tell.

8. Johnny Reno says:

Will Urban Meyer’s hiring stop the flow of playing and coaching talent from Cardinal Mooney to Lincoln? Good Gosh, I hope not; where else can you get talent like that to lead you to 5-3 in the Big Ten? I wonder how many coaches from Cardinal Mooney will be on Meyer’s new staff? I’d be willing to bet NONE! Also, does anyone out there think that if I changed my legal last name to “Cotton”, my boys can get a scholarship to NU?

1. highdef says:

Johnny Reno, you’re a wise man! Couldn’t have said it any better. Cotton is a schmuck, for sure. Glad he could get his kid in the door for a degree.. smooth move on his part. And the Mooney pipeline doesn’t even run in or out of Columbus … sad, wish it didn’t run here. Meyer is too smart to even lower his standards to care about Mooney. Maybe we can go 6-2 in the next two decades, and run a string of Hero’s game wins!

I’ve been wondering if Tom Osborne is going to go after Rick Neuheisel now that he’s available. Since the Husker program likes to take in coaches off the street, hey, there’s a boatload of ‘em now available..

2. mosier says:

There are worse schools to have ties too. If Meyer is lucky a few of his assistants might be from there.

9. Gene O says:

Isn’t it amazing how many people (especially at ESPN) conveniently forget that Ohio State is heading for some major sanctions over their “lack of institutional control” that got Tressel fired? Meyer left Florida when things started getting tough. How long is he going to hang around OSU operating short handed because of recruiting restrictions? The seniors at Florida this year might have a different opinion than the ex-OSU players at ESPN that were gushing that Meyer was going to bring more championships for years. At least the Florida players that didn’t end up in jail.

1. highdef says:

… two possibilities:
      1) Meyer vetted every angle of possible NCAA sanctions and has been assured the worst is over.
      or
      2) He knows or doesn’t care about additional sanctions, and the $40 million means more to him.

2. Steve says:

Failure to monitor and Lack of Institutuinal control are two different things.

3. mosier says:

So your basically just talking about Tebow. I just realized that’s why Tebow has a prison ministry, he likes going to visit all his old teammates.

10. Gene O. Exactly what you said is true! Urban left Florida because he saw the handwriting on the wall. Don’t think for a moment that it was just his health. As a Husker and a Gator Fan I knew what the Gators had coming in 2009. The top players all left that year and we knew we would be down a few years. Urban is such a perfectionist I do not think he could handle winning only 6 or 7 games which he would have if he would have stayed. The Gator talent level dropped of significantly in 2010 and it continued this year. They will be much better next season but still will not will win the SEC.

As far as the Huskers are concerned, all Bo and the coaches need to do is recruit, recruit, recruit! The struggles the Huskers had this year was because we just did not have enough experience in key positions especially on defense to win the BIG. However, I will put Bo up against any coach in the BIG and up against most in the country. To lose Bo would be a disaster. Believe me the Huskers will compete for the BIG every year. Mac and people like him who are pesstimistic do not have a clue how good things really are in the Husker Program. As far as playing Arkansas in the Outback in my home state, I think the Huskers can beat them. You give Bo a month to prepare the Huskers and get some of our players healthy they will be fine. Arkansas is not the great of a team! They are more like Michigan State then they are like Alabama or LSU!

1. mosier says:

I’ve heard a few people say this and I don’t really get it. Meyer was bringing in top 5 recruiting classes every year down there. Obviously they’re going to drop off after losing Tebow a bit but they’re talent should stil be top 5 level in the country. I think we got the better of the two young genius DC’s. : )

11. Gene O. I don’t agree with your last statement. Florida players ending up in jail. We have no more in jail than the Husker do!

1. mosier says:

hahaha. Florida had more arrests the last few years than any other team. The last number I remember was like over 30 in about 4 years. Don’t remember the exact number but it was shameful. I can only think of one arrest since Pelini took over and charges were eventually dropped.

12. Readnomore says:

Why do you keep putting links to H. Illustrated!?!? Those of us that have no HI membership CANNOT access the stories! As for the free 7day membership offer? … many of us will not give out a credit card number to online sites. Please STOP putting these links in your stories if 98% of your readers are not able to read them!

13. Matt in MN says:

My first question is: how is it any harder than when Jim Tressel was there? It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that it would always be tough to recruit Ohio against The Ohio State U unless they hired a complete buffoon as a coach (and what were the odds of that happening?). I love the OWH, but not really news here…

1. mosier says:

Great point, I guess we were hoping they would retain Fickell and have a few losing seasons…

14. mosier says:

If anything I think Meyer will be better for NU recruiting than Tressel would have been. The Vest gobbled up every top Ohio recruit and never really went out of region, Meyer may take quite a few from Florida and elsewhere leaving more leftovers in Ohio and the B1G region. Although I would rather go against Tress head to head for a kid than Meyer.

15. kevin says:

highdeaf your one of the worst human beings I’ve ever ran across. Let me ask you , what makes u happy ? does NU presently have anybody in place that’s a good coach, did you bash Osborne in the 70-80 ? , can we all contribute to some sort of fund to make u go away ? the world isn’t falling ? do everybody ONE favor say something positive… just once… Go ahead and try it

16. Jim says: