Published Sunday, January 22, 2012 AT 5:10 PM / Updated at 5:11 PM
Pelini’s statement on Paterno
Jon Nyatawa Omaha World-Herald

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini released a statement Sunday afternoon in response to the news of Joe Paterno’s death.

Paterno, the long-time Penn State coach, was 85. Pelini’s comments are below…

“My condolences go out to Coach Paterno’s family and the Penn State community. I have so much respect for what Coach Paterno accomplished at Penn State both on and off the field. He wasn’t just a legendary coach, but a class individual and his record speaks for itself. I had the honor of getting a few chances to spend time with him since we joined the Big Ten, and those were special opportunities for me as a relatively young head coach in this profession.”

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne also released a statement Sunday, though he did take time to share a few thoughts Saturday night. The World-Herald’s Dirk Chatelain blogged about that Sunday.

Osborne’s statement: “I am saddened to hear the news of Joe Paterno’s passing. Joe was a genuinely good person. Whenever you recruited or played against Joe you knew how he operated and that he always stood for the right things. Of course, his longevity over time and his impact on college football is remarkable. Anybody who knew Joe feels badly about the circumstances. I suspect the emotional turmoil of the last few weeks might have played into it. We offer our condolences to his family and wish them the very best.”

About Jon Nyatawa

Jon Nyatawa has covered local sports, primarily Nebraska football, for The Omaha World-Herald since 2008. He and his laptop, cell phone, tape recorder, pen and notebook all live in Lincoln. Follow him on Twitter: @JonNyatawa. Email him here: jon.nyatawa@owh.com. He welcomes feedback.

Comments

1. Dismal Swamp Husker says:

My condolences also, as a Husker and college football fan of 40+ years I have the utmost respect for Coach Paterno. I may have rooted against Penn State more often than for them it was more from the understanding that Jo Pa was going to have his team ready to play. We have lost a true legend of the sport and a truly remarkable human being.

2. HuskerRebel says:

May he rest in Peace! He did what he felt was the right thing to do.
    We all have made decisions that we wished we could have back; and
    sometimes years after we made them…

1. me says:

Well, if he thought the right thing to do was to ignore the fact that at least one child was raped in his showered then shall god have mercy on his soul. Sorry, its the one offense that there can be ZERO conflict. How could he possibly think what he did was the right thing? And don’t give me this “we’ve all made mistakes b.s.” Yes, we have made mistakes. But I would be willing to be that not a single one of the people on this board committed mistakes of this gravity. A 10 year old boy was sodomized in Paterno’s locker room. I only feel sorrow for the involved children.

Solid

2. GET IT STRAIGHT, Jo Pa did not ignore it, he did as he was required to do, he reported it to his boss. Now I am sure if Jo Pa had seen what the other coach had seen instead of relying on second hand information that was not put in the clearest of terms he would have acted in a different manner. To lay the blame on Joe is ridiculous. The blame is squarely on the shoulders of the top brass at PSU and the police force in Happy Valley.

3. Dan says:

Although Corn Devil’s comment were a little on the harsh side I hear what he’s saying. I didn’t wish death upon the man, but will not be celebrating his legacy.

Chip Kelly is off to Tampa Bay, does Scott Frost go with him?

1. Dan in Utah says:

Chip Kelly is staying put at Oregon.

5. Josh the Skeptic says:

One of the few times that I’m in total agreement with corndevil, this man’s legacy is at best a great coach who lacked moral courage, at worst he’s a great coach who was so cynical that he would allow children to be raped in order to avoid a scandal. Either way, I’m not going to be dishing out any eulogies for that man.

6. jason t says:

I still cant believe Joe Pa let SanDevil keep coaching after knowing what he did.

7. me says:

I have disagreed with nearly every single one of your posts, until now.

1. NOCORNWEEVIL says:

About time someone agreed with me #NUCORNDEVIL

8. GARY LUKERT says:

What Joe Paterno didn’t do is repeated every day in every community throughout the world. The news includes happenings every day, news of people not turning in, reporting events they should. People lie every day about wrongs they do. People
    rationalize, “…everybody does it….”. The Human trait is to only EXPOSE “the other guy.” Politics is a “hotbed” of blasting the “other person”, the “other party”…for the same things they have done. Or, when they do something they’ve ripped others for, it is always different. Also, our politicians lie…blatently lie they “never said that.” Or, if they did, it was taken out of context…or, they “mispoke.” Yet, they never cut any slack…for the “other side.”
    I am sure that Joe touched Many Lives in a Positive, Honorable way. Yet, Joe “still covered” for a friend, for someone he cared for as a human being. Someone he hoped would stop what he was doing. Joe didn’t want to hurt the Univeristy.
    In the end, for all the Positives Joe brought to his state, his university, his players, his family & friends, he will be mostly
    remembered for not doing what he should have to stop it. He could have. That’s a real sad end.
    I do feel great sympathy for Joe’s family.
    Living a good life is hard. I try to do my best, at least on average. It takes strength to DO AS YOU WOULD HAVE OTHERS DO!

9. USMC RETIRED says:

A lesson I learned a long time ago in the Marine Corps……you can 99 “attaboys” and that will get thrown out of the the window with 1 “Oh Sh!tter”. Sad but true. There is a trail of “to blame”, could it have been handled at the lowest level??? What did the G.A. REALLY tell JoePa??? How detailed/graphic??? Therein lies the question, if he thought, “Hey, I have to let my bosses know so they can handle it.” But……did he ever approach “Sandy” and ask him to stay away??? Did he think running it up the chain was enough??? With that said, just like Bear Bryant and others that are so tied up to their work, once they no longer have that…..they really don’t have anything to live for. I am sure the circumstances surrounding the last few months contributed to this. They will say…..natural causes/cancer. I believe……it should read…..Broken Heart.

Everyone knew this cat was going down but still…………http://www.snspost.com/sandusky-enjoyed-skybox-game-day-before-arrest/