Published Monday, January 23, 2012 AT 8:01 PM / Updated at 8:11 PM
Recruiting: First 2013 commit from Louisiana

The 2012 recruiting class is not yet in the books, and Nebraska has its first 2013 commit.

It comes from Baldwin (La.) West St. Mary athlete Tre’vell Dixon, who’s being courted by NU secondary coach Corey Raymond as a defensive back recruit. The 6-foot, 180-pound Dixon has played quarterback at West St. Mary for two years. But he seemed OK with the move to the secondary, and Dixon’s head coach — Ryan Antoine — played for Raymond in New Iberia, La.

“I can see everything and I like to be able to see everything, so I feel pretty comfortable with playing defensive back,” Dixon told Huskers Illustrated. “I need to get better at my backpedaling. I’ve been working on it on the side. I haven’t done a lot of cornerback drills, but I’ve been working on it a lot in the offseason. I’ve been practicing.”

He recently got “a lot of offers” from schools, including Arizona State and Texas A&M.

Of course, LSU is LSU, and as Deion Jones can attest, an offer from the Tigers can change things.

But for now — Dixon is Nebraska’s. He’ll visit on NU’s junior day in February.

“I want to meet some of the players,” he said. “It’s far away from home so I have to be sure that I like it.”

Click here to read more about Dixon and here for all of Nebraska’s 2013 offers so far.

Comments

1. Mr Football says:

Raymond has one athlete now. How many more before he stops with the snark?

1. Mosier says:

His comments really bothered me. He had a first round draft pick but apparently he wasn’t athletic enough? Out of any of our coaches I think he has the most to prove.

2. Husker_Mort says:

Why commit is he’s not “sure that he likes it”? Seems as if HCBP doesn’t typically accept these kind of commitments.

Regardless, welcome to Husker Nation, Tre’vell — we look forward to seeing you in red.

3. Jeremy says:

So we’re trying to recruit Courtney Love for 2013 huh? Wonder if he smells like teen spirit.

4. Michael says:

Good get

5. redark says:

No way this kid will ever be a Husker. Funny story at best.

6. Drinkin' Wit' Terrell Farley says:

As long as LSU doesn’t offer, he has a good chance of sticking to his commit I think, but if Les comes calling, he will push the Runza aside for an oyster Po’Boy in a heartbeat, plus, quite frankly LSU has a much better resume than NU right now. Funny how things change, NU used to look forward to playing LSU in bowl games in the ’80′s because that meant a bowl victory, unlike Miami and others.

7. Mosier says:

What a terrible recruit, he is an unrated no star. This program just exploded!! We will never win another game with this recruit…j/k

8. Mosier says:

Welcome Tre’vell! Just hope this isn’t another case of our staff pointing out to Miles where the talent is.

9. twauto22 says:

Mosier

What are you talking about?? It seems like everyone on here always knows Pelini cant evaluate talent.. Lol … Your right, Bo does the work , LES takes the boys.. But apparently Bo dosnt know talent.. laughable.

10. redark says:

Kind of surprised NU is spending any time at all on next years class when there is so much to finalize this year. The kid is honest at least and apparently Huskers still have a good reputation around the country even with the young youngsters. Hope he is good nuff for a LSU offer but then he will never be a blackshirt.Worth a try I suppose.