Published Monday, February 27, 2012 AT 9:22 PM / Updated at 12:17 AM
Recruiting: Husker commit reacts to Raymond’s departure
Jon Nyatawa Omaha World-Herald

Assistant coach Corey Raymond is leaving Nebraska for the defensive backs job at LSU. For now, that news apparently isn’t influencing Husker recruit Tre’Vell Dixon.

Dixon, from Baldwin, La., won’t be making any impulse decisions. He announced his oral commitment to NU’s 2013 class in January.

“I’m still committed to Nebraska right now,” Dixon said Monday night in an interview with Huskers Illustrated, the World-Herald’s recruiting partner.

There’s more on this storyline at HuskersIllustrated.com. Dixon still hasn’t visited Lincoln, but he and Raymond formed a strong bond during the recruiting process. Dixon’s high school coach, Ryan Antoine, played for Raymond in New Iberia, La.

Here’s what Antoine told Huskers Illustrated Monday night: “Tre’Vell is Tre’Vell. We’ll see what he does. I don’t think this changes anything at all. He still loves the Huskers.”

Click here for more on Raymond’s decision to leave Nebraska for LSU. He told The World-Herald Monday night that he turned down an offer from Tigers’ officials Friday, but changed his mind over the weekend.

About Jon Nyatawa

Jon Nyatawa has covered local sports, primarily Nebraska football, for The Omaha World-Herald since 2008. He and his laptop, cell phone, tape recorder, pen and notebook all live in Lincoln. Follow him on Twitter: @JonNyatawa. Email him here: jon.nyatawa@owh.com. He welcomes feedback.

Comments

1. Husker Tadow says:

Seems Raymond needs more money. Pretty low class if he goes after Dixon after the fact. Get ready for the flock of Starlings who fly around being loud and crapping on everything to show up here.

GBR!

1. Mike Caramba says:

Isn’t that, more or less, how we landed Curry for the 2012 class?

2. NU FB says:

Raymond didn’t leave for more money. He left to be closer to family and coach at his alma mater.

Granted, it sucks that he left after saying he wasn’t going to, but you really can’t blame the guy all that much.

3. Me says:

Do a little research. Louisiana is home for Raymond. Is there anyway we could possibly look into a story before merely spouting accusations. As far as him going after Dixon, how is that low class? The player was at least partially committed to NU because of Raymond’s ties to Louisiana and the bond he formed with Raymond. Its pretty low class of you or any other fan to refuse to look at the human side of this equation. Jesus.

1. Bryan H says:

Thanks to both NU FB and ME, for stating what I was going to. I was bummed when I read that Coach Raymond changed his mind, but then I realized I can’t blame him for wanting to go home. I am very far from my home, and given the right circumstances, I would love to go back. And to ME, your second post was even better and I could not have said it better. I just hope that Tre’Vell makes his way to Lincoln and becomes a Husker. But, if he does decide to go to LSU, Hey, more power to him and the best of luck also. I hope that Bo already has a replacement in mind, and we get a really great coach in turn. Please people, stop all of the negativity already. GO BIG RED!!!!!

2. John says:

Bo and his staff have few loyalties to Nebraska, that era died when the brain trust (I use them term very liberally) headed by Harvey Perlman decided to hire Steve Pedersen with the intention of hiring a new football coach because of Frank Solich’s personal transgressions. There will be many short term coaches here from this point on.

3. Ron says:

C’mon. It’s not like the huskers lost a great coach or anything. What sux is that all the good DB college coaches have jobs right now.

I’m sure Pelini has a cousin somewhere…..

4. Me says:

I can hardly stand reading a message board anymore. First, Raymond left for money. Then, he’s low class. Then, he’s not even a good coach (even though the team that was just in a national title game, a team with a vaunted secondary just hired him). Then he’s not loyal. My god people. Get a flipping grip. People like you embarrass me as a NU fan.

5. Marko says:

Dixon committed to NU just to get LSU’s attention. Now with Raymond going to LSU, Dixon will get an offer and follow. No big loss in either situation. Move on. No hard feelings.

1. Mosier says:

He committed because his coach is one of Raymond’s best friends and he knows Bo produces great CB’s. As soon as LSU offers now however he is gone. Like you said no hard feelings there.

6. Jay Lowrey says:

Jon,

I don’t think Raymond was a big loss even if he takes a recruit or two.

Remember the South Carolina game and his coaching skills on display?

Then he complains we weren’t athletic enough.

Bye.
    Jay
    Singapore

1. Bryan H says:

Seriously? We were 3 plays away from completely dominating that game. Ameer’s physically forced fumble that flew some 20 feet in the air(and you seriously can not blame Ameer to much, that was a nasty hit), the Hail Mary that should have never happened-but it did, and the fumble to start the second half. Just because the guy is taking a job at his Alma Mater, doesn’t make him a bad guy or a bad coach or classless. We are the B1G RED, and WE WILL BE FINE. GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!

7. Matt says:

I think a lot of “fans” disappointments stem from the fact that college football has changed a lot and will continue to do so. Gone are the good old days when Nebraska was set up nicely to play for titles in the Orange Bowl. Teams are diluted out by the sheer number of programs and football is king; therefore, our competitive edge is diminished. The depression and angst most fans feel is a direct result of failure to understand this evolution. Step back and take it for what it is: your state, your school, your pride, your fun. Then, focus on a game with far less complexity if you cannot handle these truths: NFL or high school football. It wouldn’t hurt to have some competition in the other big time sports either, namely Nebrasketball.

8. RedFan says:

Good Luck Coach, I would like to see Bo tab an ex Husker for this position!

1. Hskerfn says:

How bout Mike Minter? Ralph Brown? Gotta be someone out there that played for us. We’ve had good DB’s anybody else you can think of?

1. je says:

Keyou Craver is living here in Lincoln; just a thought! haha

2. bob jones says:

Where’s Wonderful Monds Jr when you need him? We really need someone who is not only a very good coach but a top notch recruiter too. Good luck to Raymond, can’t blame a guy for going back to his alma mater and to be near his family.

2. Mike says:

yeah, lets bring in a guy to coach DB’s just cause he is a past Husker, whether he has coaching experience or not…..he must be good if he played for the Huskers AMIRITE?!

9. cbil says:

I think Dixon will decommit shortly especially if he gets that LSU offer. Raymond was going to be a good recruiter for us. Good luck to him.

1. Mosier says:

Don’t see him leaving for a school other than LSU, however I now think it is only a matter of time before he gets the offer.

10. KeepCalm says:

I don’t know what is less important a position coach or a recruit, and I don’t care to think about it any further than that. It’s February, keep calm and worry about something else for a little while.

11. TheGov says:

wow. Didn’t I just read how Osborne was able to keep his staff intact and how Bo looked like he was doing the same? I’m getting so tired of getting depressed over the coaching staff and the players and the recruits and the Bo forever crowd. Good teams keep their staff. Good teams have good players. Good teams hace great recruits. Oh well, go Tigers!

12. USMC RETIRED says:

Time Out!!!! This is PERFECT!!! Turner Gill should be getting a phone call from Bo right about now. Um, Turner, I need you to put Mack 10 on the phone. Turner Gill turns in his chair and hands the phone to ………..Mike Minter!!! There is your new DB’s coach!!! NFL Veteran. NU ties. Well known along the East Coast. Can still touch base with the OLD BIG 12 footprint. At least if he comes onboard, he has a son that………never mind. Anyway, Bo should be calling Mike Minter. End of story. I would have liked to have seen some other coach or 2 go, but…..you can’t have everything. Let’s wish Coach Raymond well. In the short term we don’t know what impact his departure will have on NU, but in the long run, IF Minter comes onboard, LOOK OUT. Put Mr. Raymond on your Christmas List for this gift/opportunity. In the famous word of Jerry M., “Who’s coming with me!”

PEACE

1. John says:

Was just thinking the exact same thing. Minter has coaching experience, albeit not quite at this level. But the Nebraska ties and love for him would be great.

2. Mosier says:

Would love to get Minter. One of my all time favorite Huskers. Was a great leader at NU and in Carolina. Complete class guy. His experience is similar to what Raymonds was so I don’t think that would be a huge issue.

1. MikeG says:

Agreed, I met Mike at a church function he was speaking at. He was a down to earth, classy guy. And he loves the Huskers, even though he is from Oklahoma, haha.

13. Dennis says:

Obviously it’s become the norm in our society that your “word” isn’t worth anything anymore. He said previously how much he enjoyed and appreciated working with Bo and that’s why he was staying. Well, evidently money or something else speaks louder to the guy than his word. Just the way it is today in college and prof football, just like recruits, everything is subject to change until you sign on the dotted line.

1. Mosier says:

Sounds like LSU really recruited him. They wouldn’t take no for an answer and then when he thought about being closer to family over the weekend he changed his mind. Still basically said he would rather coach with BO but couldn’t turn down family. I’m sure pay increase and having access to all the talent he could want wouldn’t hurt either.

14. HskrBll says:

It’s blatantly obvious that neither Raymond (or maybe even Dixon) cashed in their ticket for a free Runza after the Alcorn St. basketball game.

1. HskrBll says:

Oops, I forgot, Dixon wasn’t even here for that game (along with about 7,000 others).

15. Kansas Husker Fan says:

First off one can not blame Corey for getting a opportunity to go home and be part of a top 5 team. Second does anyone think that some of the recruits 4 or 5 star that went to other schools that Nebraska would not or has not gone after them if there appeared any chance of getting them after a coaching change. The spirit of college football changed a long time ago when money became more important than the institution. If any one here thinks Nebraska is as pure as the driven snow or that much different than other D-1 schools then there living in a fantasy world. In a finish i’ll state simply that honor and loyalty are as vacant in our Sports as in our Government.

1. Mosier says:

Wouldn’t blame him in the slightest if he didn’t say he was staying on Friday. He was never my favorite, secondary seemed hesitant this year and his comment after the bowl really rubbed me the wrong way.

However I think it is pretty funny that all the haters talking about the crappy assistants Bo has brought in are pretty quite right now. Would think LSU is the top secondary position in all of CFB. You can bet he’s getting a large pay raise too.

2. KSU student w/red blood says:

You and I know how much being away from the atmosphere you love sucks…
      I agree that honor and loyalty are qualities that seem vacant from College Football these days (except for Ron Brown!)
      As for the Government… Ron Paul 2012!!!
      Cheers from the Little Apple!!!

16. TOM says:

Bo, call Minter PLEASE! He was a great NFL and NU d-back. You and OZ can help him develop the coaching skills. GBR!

17. Tony says:

I don’t know if he wants to get into coaching, but Mike Brown would be an excellent DB coach in my opinion.

18. Gary says:

What do you think about Scott Frost now? Isn’t he the DB coach at Oregon. Bring him in and someday he may fill another position with Husker Football.

1. Skers says:

Frost coaches the Oregon wide receivers.

19. Mosier says:

Frost is intriguing again but don’t see it happening. Apparently it’s OC or bust for him right now.

Is there any possibilty than Marvin would come back? Would we want him back. In my opinion he was the best secondary coach in the country. Was really sad to lose him like that. If not bring on Minter.

1. Chaz59 says:

Marvin alledgedly, did not leave on his own terms.

2. MikeG says:

I think Sanders just went to USC didnt he? Good luck prying him away from the beach. Lots of girls for him to have transgressions with there. Still he was a much better coach than Raymond ever was. I wouldnt mind him coming back but dont think its a possibility.

20. Chaz59 says:

Got to meet Minter at St. E’s about…um…15 years ago when his wife and mine were both there having babies.

1. MikeG says:

I met him about 3 years ago when he was speaking at our church in Arizona. Great guy!!

21. BlueJay says:

The guy leaves for another gig. Big deal. This how things work these days. Time to find a replacement and move on.

22. Dan says:

Some of you guys really don’t get it, do you? As long as Bo hires young up and coming coaches we are going to have a revolving door. it’s the nature of the beast. The only way it changes is he looks for guys who see Nebraska as a destination, not a stepping stone.

Sad thing, I don’t know if that’s possible.

23. Bob says:

Probably a LONG shot to get a former Husker player. However, Eric Warfield spent time the Husker sidelines last season. Remember Raymond came to Nebraska after being the the Minnesota Staff for only a month — very littel “loyalty” in the coaching fraternity. Another example, Marvin Sanders — Florida Atlantic, then to USC !!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. MikeG says:

Wasnt it Indiana staff? I dont remember.

24. floridasker says:

speculation, speculation, speculation, who gives a BLEEP. Bo is going to hire who he thinks is the most qualified that he can get his hands on. This all doesn’t matter, and I am sure he has more connections then all the rest of you that are posting. Who are you kidding you think he is going to hire some youth football coach from Ohio that has know idea about recruiting, but went undefeated in his pop warner league. If thats the case I am in Florida and took 2 teams to the championship last year and won. Hire me please Bo. (sarcasm) for those of you who dont get it

25. floridasker says:

oh and i have connections to a ton of florida talent. LOL

26. Walleye says:

If there is a DB coach from Cardinal Mooney H.S. available, he’s hired! No doubt about it!! Bo feeds off of CMHS!!

27. Derferd64 says:

But Scott Frost did play DB in the NFL. Got to be worth something.

28. johnnyfootball says:

He’ll go to LSPewwwwwwwwwww!