Published Tuesday, May 8, 2012 AT 10:23 AM / Updated at 5:36 PM
Recruiting: Defensive prospect update

Quick defensive prospect update on a few Husker targets. Kudos, again, to Huskers Illustrated and 247Sports — both partners of The World-Herald — for putting in the time here.

DT

Elijah Qualls is being recruited by some schools as a fullback. Nebraska’s interested in the Petaluma, Calif., talent as an interior tackle. Although he named Washington, Oregon State and Arizona as his top three, he’s still interested in what NU has to offer:

“I’m definitely still interested in Nebraska,” the 6-foot-2, 265-pound Qualls told HI. “I am still pumped I have their offer. I think they are a great school. I haven’t experienced much about them, but I really want to. That’s definitely a place I am considering taking a visit to and I hope they do come up to see my school.”

NU started making inroads back into Hawaii last year. Now it appears another prospect — 6-foot-3, 280-pound tackle Scott Pagano — will make a visit.

“No list yet but I do know I’m taking my first two official visits to Baylor and Nebraska,” Pagano told 247Sports. “I went to the Nike Camp in Dallas and I swung by Baylor while I was there. They had such a beautiful campus and we liked it a lot. Then they started talking to me so we decided we’ll go take a visit there in the fall.”

Pagano has 72 tackles — 30 for loss – and five sacks last year.

LB

Cameron Judge is an outside linebacker Nebraska’s still pursuing through the summer. Judge, from Thousand Oaks, Calif., is looking hardest at Pac-12 teams — his dad, Chris, played defensive back at Oregon in the 1980s — but will look at NU, too.

Wide receivers coach Rich Fisher is handling the recruitment.

“He’s a pretty cool guy, I really like him,” Judge told HI about Fisher. “He wants to come out for a spring practice. We’ve talked about the program, he’s told me how they focus a lot on defense and how they are known for a strong defense. That grabbed my attention. I need to get out there for a visit over the summer.”

***

I’ve received a few emails/notes from readers about whether Nebraska should have offered Howells lineman Nathan Bazata, who committed to Iowa recently. I got the same questions last year on Giltner defensive end Drew Ott. And the year before that with Cole Fisher.

The answer is yes to all three, although Ott, to me, seems like the most polished, complete player right now. It’s true that Nebraska attracted a solid walk-on crop in the 2012 class — arguably its best in years — but establishing a scholarship track record with coaches is important. Iowa now has three scholarship players from Nebraska in the last three years, and don’t kid yourself: There will be plenty of motivation there. All three of them could have played at NU, and Ott especially has all the tools to be a top-shelf Big Ten defender.

Comments

1. Mel says:

Wow, Qualls is 6’2″ 265. This dude could plug some holes inside.

2. schumach says:

Sounds like a lot of “but I am looking at Nebraska”. Pretty sad we are competing with Baylor for recruits. i am not a negative fan by any means but really wish we could get this recruiting thing going for us.

1. Bryan says:

Don’t be so quick to dismiss Baylor…when your quarterback wins the Heisman Trophy, you are going to start getting the attention of some recruits.

1. Jesus says:

If he thinks that the campus in Waco is beautiful, Lincoln and its facilities will blow his mind.

1. Sam McKewon Sam McKewon says:

The campus is very nice. 12 steps off the campus…not as much.

1. rickenaz says:

Dito, though for me it was just 10 steps.

2. York1 says:

Competing with Baylor?

This just two days after we get a commit from Christian Lacouture, who had offers from LSU, Michigan, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, etc.

How about Courtney Love? Offers from Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, etc.

Natter? Wisconsin, Michigan State, etc.

It seems to me that we are getting some recruits that are pretty highly recruited by some pretty good schools.

1. Nick says:

Please quit posting facts on the message boards. It makes it tough on the trolls.

1. Gravy says:

Good post Nick.From the film clips and stats of the new recruits it’s looking good.Going to take a little time to develope though.The Michigan and Wisconsin games WON’t be the blow-outs they were last year.Only games I’m concerned about next season are Michigan State and Ohio State,with a great coach and being played in the Horseshoe.

2. TRUEHuskerFan says:

LOL! +1

2. Mr. Meltdown says:

John Blake did a great job recruiting as a head coach for the Sooners, Brown a great job for the Longhorns, Stoops another great recruiter for the Sooners. I could go on and on. it is important that you get 4 and 5 star recruits, but its more inportant what you do with them if you get them. Blake was a disaster. Brown got lucky one year. Stoops got lucky one time with somebody elses recruits. Bo has no clue!!!

1. York1 says:

It’s so easy on this side of the TV screen, isn’t it?

1. Mr. Meltdown says:

Bo makes easy.

2. CORNANGEL says:

So we know that Corndevil’s brilliant idea is to fire Bo Pelini and hire Tom Rathman & a dedicated QB coach.

What is your idea that is going to set the world on fire and reel off another 60-3 run with 3 MNCs?

PS – What did Pelini do with Suh, David, Amukumara?

I challenge you to honestly reflect back at the past All Century Husker teams and tell me that they aren’t up there with the greatest that we have ever seen wear the N.

Amukamara was a 3 star RECEIVER. After Pelini, he became a 1st round CB. After Suh’s junior season, Pelini challenged him to not take plays off. How did things turn out for 2nd pick & Heisman candidate Defensive Tackle Suh? How many JUCOs during T.O. do you remember making the impact that David did? Mike Rozier & Terell Farley? Farley didn’t even finish the team after he was booted for violating team rule.

3. Phil C says:

I wouldn’t throw in the towel on Bazata just yet, if NU decides to offer him a scholarship he’d probably reconsider, as for Ott I’m not crying in my pillow over NU not making him an offer, he was a good athlete for D2 but even there he didn’t exactly dominate like he should have.

1. Kevin Werner says:

Drew Ott is a Multi-Sport Athlete that will excel at Iowa. Unlike Sam Cotton who couldn’t even handle playing both ways for Southeast and at times you didn’t even know he was on the field. Just like his brother Jake who got All-State because his last name is Cotton. Two scholarships that we could have used on other players instead of Barney’s boys that didn’t “Dominate” Class A.

1. Ryan says:

Considering the oldest Cotton is projected to be drafted next year, I’m going to wait until all three boys careers are done before judging the decision to offer them scholarships.

Projecting growth -physically, mentally, and in desire- is such a wild card in recruiting. I have no problem with people getting excited about recruiting and discussing it, but judgments on recruits simply must be saved for 5 years down the road.

2. joey says:

Amen Kevin… Amen.

3. mosier1483 says:

The Cotton’s are a great addition to our team. Ben is a 3 year starter and one of the best TE’s in the country, Jake has been battling for starting O-line PT as a freshman and Ben was brought in at a huge position of need after our top TE prospects went to UF, FSU, OKlahoma, USC etc.

4. Football? says:

Hey Sam, thanks for blogging about football and not the controversy of the week.

I appreciate the updates! Keep up the great work!

5. Mr. Meltdown says:

Sounds like the Husker recruiters make good pen pals, but that’s about it. Bye bye Bo!

1. Tripduz says:

Sounds like you make a pretty good troll, but a lousy fan. Bye bye mr. Meltdown

1. Mr. Meltdown says:

I’ll be here long after Bo is gone. Bye bye Bo!

1. TexasHusker says:

How are your Puffalos doing?

Still 24-50 since 2005?

Yep.

Uh-oh! Sucks to be a Buffawo!

1. WRG says:

Thats Muffalos Thank you!!!

2. Stephen Johnson says:

You may still be here after Bo is gone, but who really cares about you? Nobody. Bo on the other hand… lots.

1. Mr. Meltdown says:

Will all you Bolievers follow him to the Div II university where he ends up coaching? I sure hope so. That’ll leave lots of room for all of us who are truly Husker fans and only want the best for the team, and the state. Bye bye Bo!

2. TRUEHuskerFan says:

y do you all insist on replying to this NOBODY?

1. WRG says:

Meltdown fans like you wanted Dr. Tom out in the 70′s and 80′s and look what happened! He is still here, WHY DON’T YOU LEAVE.

6. NEBRASKA WINS says:

I remember as a kid growing up in Omaha(now live in California) we loved who ever Nebraska put out there as players and coaches. Now it seems that a lot of you complain about everything. We need to remember that Husker Nation has the greatest fans on Earth (BY FAR). Let the University do its job. Then lets all get behind them with what we have and where we have been.(TRADITION). This is a big year for Bo. Unite……. I know we have heard that before. I appreciate any athlete that decides to come and join Husker Nation. 3 4 or 5 star.

1. huskerred says:

If you follow the boards you will see it is just a handful of crybabys (always the same individuals) that are always whinning about or the team. If you figure the thousands of NU fans out there our fans are still the greatest. Who really cares what these simple minded, uneducated, need a life crybabys think. Their most likely the same ones that thought NU was headed places during the Pedersen and Callahan era.

7. Kansas Husker says:

Complaining about a team or it’s coach does not mean the person is a troll or cry baby. It just could be that person cares deeply on how well the Huskers perform and just does not feel their seeing it. I live in Kansas and can tell you it is not veryb difficult to find people who have attended Nebraska games in Lincoln who will strongly disagree with the Nebraska having the greatest fans.I’ve had people tell me about having drinks poured on them ,name calling and one whose wife was was so insulted by her treatment that to this day they will not watch a Nebraska game or go to one. You all on here may be saintly perfect fans but not all are like you. I also know a lot of NU football supporters in Kansas but they will not call NU’s fans the best either. I’m afraid NU fans has bought into all the hype that is used to promote interest in Husker football but far from factual. The Husker fan in the 70′s was appreciative of what they had and did not take it all for granite. Todays Husker fans many to many in fact are more like spoiled children. As far as BO goes he’s not there yet but he is heading in the right direction and NU’s future in football does indeed show light at the end of the tunnel. GO BO and Big Red..

1. Colorado Springer says:

Taking it all for “granite”. We have lots of granite in Colorado but we don’t take anything for it.

8. mosier1483 says:

Bring ESPN Gameday to Lincoln and get NU some great exposure and a free commercial. This is a chance for fans to actually make a real difference for the program.

9. MLK47 says: