This is not remotely official. I don’t have an AP vote or anything this year. I just thought, me to you, you’d just really want to know what I thought. And I had some time to kill.
1. USC (Beat Hawaii 49-10): There’s no law that mandates you drop a team that pummeled its opponent just because the No. 3 team pummeled what’s perceived to be a better opponent. If the Trojans hadn’t played lights out from start to finish, perhaps Alabama gets this No. 1 spot. But USC was terrific.
2. Alabama (Beat Michigan 41-14): The Tide’s offensive line is as advertised, and Michigan’s screwy offensive plan played right into Nick Saban’s hands.
3. LSU (Beat North Texas 41-14): The Tigers finished with 316 yards rushing.
4. Oregon (Beat Arkansas State 57-34): Led 50-3 at halftime and let up on the gas.
5. Florida State (Beat Murray State 69-3): Outgained the Racers 606-156.
6. Georgia (Beat Buffalo 45-23): Gave up too many big plays, but remember the Bulldogs are missing several defensive starters due to suspension.
7. Oklahoma (Beat UTEP 24-7): This game could not have encouraged Sooner fans.
8. Arkansas (Beat Jacksonville State 49-24): The Razorbacks’ defense was awful in the first half, leading only 35-21 at halftime.
9. South Carolina (Beat Vanderbilt 17-13): And did it with a hurt quarterback.
10. Michigan State (Beat Boise State 17-13): And did it with a bad quarterback
11. West Virginia (Beat Marshall 69-34): Will try to go for 80 points vs. James Madison.
12. Clemson (Beat Auburn 26-19): I’m not sure why people were stunned Clemson won this game.
13. Texas (Beat Wyoming 37-17): The Longhorns shook off a slow start with a solid ground game.
14. Ohio State (Beat Miami Ohio 56-10): Good foe in Central Florida coming up.
15. Nebraska (Beat Southern Mississippi 49-20): Tougher test at UCLA
16. Oklahoma State (Beat Savannah State 84-0): Tough one, huh?
17. Virginia Tech (Beat Georgia Tech 20-17): Lucky to win. The Hokies major in lucky wins.
18. Kansas State (Beat Missouri State 51-9): Close game until the third quarter.
19. Wisconsin (Beat Northern Iowa 26-21). The Badgers took their foot off the gas pedal, rare for them.
20. Michigan (Lost to Alabama 41-14): Kersplat.
21. TCU (No game): The Horned Frogs kick off their season.
22. Florida (beat Bowling Green 24-14): Gators play at Texas A&M this week.
23. Stanford (Beat San Jose State 20-17): The Spartans are better than you might think.
24. Louisville (Beat Kentucky 32-14): Shawn Watson had the offense rolling in game one.
25. BYU (Beat Washington State 30-6): I watched the whole game and left impressed by the Cougars’ physicality.