Published Thursday, September 6, 2012 AT 6:05 PM / Updated at 6:05 PM
Pelini: Burkhead will make UCLA trip
Rich Kaipust Omaha World-Herald

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said Thursday that Rex Burkhead will travel to UCLA but the playing status of the All-Big Ten I-back remains unclear.

Pelini again called it “day-to-day” for the senior as the Huskers went through their last full practice in preparation for the Bruins.

“I mean, he’s ahead of schedule, but we’ll kind of see how it goes,” Pelini said. “He’s going on the trip, but we’ll see how it plays out.”

Some other last-minute items:

>> Pelini said NU finished up the week well. “I think we’ve had some pretty good preparation, and ready to go get it. Take this show on the road.”

>> The UCLA offense that put up 600-plus yards at Rice is “more of in the Big 12 kind of category.” Pelini said: “They spread you out. They’ve got good athleticism. The quarterback, I think, is a good young player. We’ll have our work cut out for us.”

>> Junior-college transfer Mohammed Seisay will see his first action at cornerback after sitting out the Southern Mississippi game with an ankle injury. Pelini said Seisay had a good week of practice, but wouldn’t comment on how the rotation at cornerback might change.

“We’ll see how the game goes,” Pelini said. “We’ll start with the guys we started with last week (Andrew Green, Josh Mitchell), but you’ll see some other guys in there.”

About Rich Kaipust

Rich Kaipust is a staff writer for The Omaha World-Herald and covers Nebraska football. You can follow Rich on Twitter (@RKaipustOWH) or email him at rich.kaipust@owh.com

Comments

1. Clint Thute says:

Hundley is a keeper…NU defenses have always had trouble with mobile quarterbacks. Compton, Fisher and Meredith will be gasping for air by the second quarter. Franklin will also gash them but the Bruins have NO defense. If Nebraska does not turn the ball over so that it’s defense is on the field they win by 17. If not, look out. Time of possession is key. Bruins are thin on defense. They will wear down in NU has the ball more than 30 minutes.

2. HuskerJosh says:

So.Miss couldn’t score a touchdown last week with Alford, who is a much better athlete. Big Red 52 Little Bears 13

3. Stephen Johnson says:

The defense did under-impress during the first half last week. They tightened up the defensive play in the second half. They may implement the PESO that was used in the Big 12. We will see. I have to say that I am really looking forward to this game. This year every team we play is a worthy opponent.

1. Bryan says:

Well, maybe not “every” opponet,– Idaho State. But, UCLA could be a good game, in the first half. I just can’t believe that this Bruins team is any better than the USM team we just beat by 29 points. Granted, we are the visitors this time around, but I believe we win by at least 21 and maybe more. Keys, no turn overs, no drive killing major penalties, no major injuries. My guess, Nebraska – 45 vs. UCLA – 21. GO BIG RED!!!!!

4. Joe says:

Huskers are a 5 point favorite. If I had extra money to blow, I would take that bet in a big way! Huskers will wear this UCLA team down and I see a 45 to 21 win. Go Huskers!

5. Waskel Wabbit says:

Wow, the Kool-Aid is flowing freely this morning. 45-21, 52-13. How quickly we forget…

6. Rhonda says:

Once football season is here I am done for!! GO BIG RED!!

7. Hskrbll says:

Call it what you want, the only people who need to keep drinking the “kool-aid” is the team. If they believe, they will achieve. The only obstacles that the 2012 Bugeaters face is between their ears. I feel a “swagger” coming on and this game is critical to that. If we win by two+ TDs, (we should), this team is going togo into hyperdrive. Time will tell….this year feels different, doesn’t it?? Runza and O-Rings for lunch…

8. Objectivity says:

Before we get too carried away with optimism about the 2012 Huskers, let’s give it a few weeks, and see how well they perform against ranked opponents. Their record, the past several years, against such teams, has been less than impressive.