Five things we learned
1. The road back to the Rose Bowl requires getting better — way better — defensively. You don’t allow a 300-yard passer and 200-yard rusher in the same game and get away with it.
2. The Husker passing game might not be as far along as it looked last weekend, when the circumstances were far more favorable.
3. Judging by his 92-yard touchdown run in the first quarter, Taylor Martinez is again able to find that top speed that he hit so often back in 2010.
4. Brett Maher kicking 54- and 43-yard field goals and booming four punts of 42-plus yards should calm some of the worries. Still, there was a miss from 37 and a 13-yard punt.
5. It might be only two games, but Jim Mora Jr. already has pumped some legitimate hope into a UCLA program that could use it.
Five things we don’t know
1. Who comes to the rescue of this Nebraska defense? The Huskers aren’t exactly loaded with All-Big Ten candidates on that side of the ball.
2. How would Johnathan Franklin rank in comparison with Montee Ball and Le’Veon Bell? The UCLA back was pretty dang good Saturday night.
3. What happened to that rhythm and tempo that the Husker offense played with last week? It was way more fragile and fleeting against the Bruins.
4. When does NU get Rex Burkhead back? The steady influence of the senior likely would have helped, whether the Huskers say they missed him or not.
5. Other than Ohio State and Michigan State, who should teams be scared of in the Big Ten right now after watching the first two Saturdays of football?