This has been Hangover Week from Lincoln to Iowa City. Take 10 of these picks and don’t call me Sunday morning:
1. Nebraska 49, Arkansas State 28. Husker offense will have to carry water this year. Starting now.
2. Rex Burkhead won’t play on Saturday. Sources say he could if absolute necessary but it won’t be necessary until Bucky Badger rolls into town in two weeks.
3. Northern Iowa 21, Iowa 17. Sorry, Hawks. Just a feeling.
4. Michigan State 24, Notre Dame 14. Mark Dantonio won’t need schoolyard hijinks this year. Just an angry, ferocious defense.
5. Ohio State 35, Cal 17. Braxton Miller and Urban Meyer are going to make beautiful music together.
6. Alabama 42, Arkansas 13. After the game, Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long offers Bobby Petrino his job back.
7. TCU 35, Kansas 14. Welcome to the Big 12, Horned Frogs. You too, Charlie Weis.
8. Texas 31, Ole Miss 17. The only thing more under the radar than the Longhorn Network are the Horns. Keep an eye on them in the Big 12.
9. Bo Pelini shows a three-man front on defense — 3-4, 3-3-5, whatever — but don’t look for a permanent change here. Just something to jump-start the pass rush. Freshman Avery Moss and linebacker Zaire Anderson will do that, too.
10. USC quarterback Matt Barkley will play well at Stanford but West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith will start to creep up on Barkley on Heisman lists.