Published Monday, September 17, 2012 AT 2:36 PM / Updated at 6:55 PM
First of many TDs for Cross?
Rich Kaipust Omaha World-Herald

Imani Cross wasn’t going to celebrate his first career touchdown alone Saturday. Not when it was made so easy for the freshman I-back by his Nebraska teammates up front.

“I celebrated with my offensive line, because they did a tremendous job blocking for me,” Cross said. “I was very proud of them. And I really do owe it all to them, because it was a huge hole.”

Cross, the 225-pounder from Gainesville, Ga., scored on a 2-yard run with 12:50 left in the game. He finished the game with a career-high 66 yards on seven carries, including a 44-yard run later in the fourth quarter.

After his TD, Husker assistant coach Ron Brown told Cross to relish the moment but then move on.

“I want him to get used to that,” Brown said. “I told him it’s always nice to get the first one, but hopefully it’s the first of many to come.”

Cross has played in two of the Huskers’ first three games. With Rex Burkhead on the verge of coming back at I-back, there eventually will be a cut into the playing time and carries for Ameer Abdullah, Braylon Heard and Cross.

“We’re all so excited for Rex to come back, so I’m not really worried about reps right now,” Cross said Monday. “I just want Rex to get healthy, because I know that will help the team win. So we’re not really worried about reps.”

About Rich Kaipust

Rich Kaipust is a staff writer for The Omaha World-Herald and covers Nebraska football. You can follow Rich on Twitter (@RKaipustOWH) or email him at rich.kaipust@owh.com

Comments

1. CLHusker says:

I appreciate Iman’s “team first” mentality. Thanks for being a Husker and we’re hoping for more TDs for Imani in the future. GO BIG RED!!!

2. Waskel Wabbit says:

Glad to see he is a team player. We don’t need anymore players trnsferring.

3. redark says:

Imani seems to be a heck of a guy and a total team player, the type that makes for championship teams. His future is bright, the big guy showed some moves. Love to see him come into the huddle at any time.

4. wrangler9 says:

Nice to see a kid with some team spirit! I think he’s going to become an excellent RB before his career is done in Lincoln. We really have some stud backs which will pay dividends down the stretch this season….

5. Clay says:

I have been very impressed with this young man, its nice to have that size and speed…Way to go, keep up the good work, and many more great games will come your way! Just hang on to that ball…..

6. Bob says:

Truly a class act. Proud to call him a Husker. His day will come, and when it does, look out!!!

7. The honey badger says:

WE NEED TO RUN THE DIAMOND… Feed the backs mix in bell and turner sweeps. Seriously the talent issue isn’t on the offense side lets get creative.

1. Colorado Springer says:

++++1

1. Colorado Springer says:

Also, did anyone notice C.J. Zimmerer on Taylor Martinez’s long TD run? He threw 2 blocks to break him and then ran up and knocked the pile-up on Taylor into the endzone. I think the kid can play. We have a tremendous backfield this year. One of the deepest in memory.

8. Mike in DM says:

Was he on the travel roster to UCLA?

9. KansaHusker says:

I’ve done more than my share of complaining on how poorly the defense has played but little have i stated my opinion of our offense other than i’m not sold on Beck. But right now i do not believe there is a more complete and better better offensive back field than what we have.In fact i get agitated at the Big Ten Networks lack of attention they’ve given our back field. There is not a better 1&2 running backs tandem in the Big or in in other conference that i’m aware of and with more time and experience Heard and cross will only continue the game an quickly be top backs like Burkhead and Abdullah.

1. Larry says:

You are exactly right about the B1G Ten network, regards Nebraska…it seems they go out f their way to avoid talking about our BIG RED…last night B1G Ten wrap up was a great example…highlighting the other teams and pretty much dismissing Nebraska except for a small spot regards our so-called improved Defense. I really think, they don’t beleive we are truly a part of their B1G Ten. Oh well I guess this year’s team will have to go out and win their championship.

10. Mel says:

Imani, great attitude! Go Huskers!