Published Saturday, September 22, 2012 AT 5:08 PM / Updated at 7:02 PM
On BTN, NU’s Miles: ‘We’re only show in the state’
Dirk Chatelain Omaha World-Herald

Tim Miles didn’t make any friends at Creighton Saturday afternoon.

During a Big Ten Network sideline interview at Memorial Stadium, Miles was asked about the challenges of recruiting at Nebraska.

“The good part about that,” he said, “is we’re the only show in the state, we’re the only show in the area.”

That’s not the type of thing Creighton fans are likely to forget. In fact, Bluejays coach Greg McDermott, a friend of Miles, responded quickly on Twitter.

“Interesting perspective,” McDermott said.

After the football game, Miles clarified his statement in a pair of Twitter messages.

“Just to put an end to this. My comments today had nothing to do with Creighton. Have too much respect for Mac & BB tradition at CU to say anything bad about them. I was talking about the support of Husker Athletics!!!”

Miles and Creighton meet Dec. 6 in Lincoln.

About Dirk Chatelain

Dirk Chatelain is a staff writer for The Omaha World-Herald and covers Nebraska football and general assignments. You can follow Dirk on Twitter (@dirkchatelain) or email him at dchatelain@owh.com

Comments

1. joey says:

Sayonara NU, smooth move Miles. Especially when the Jays will easily close the mouth of Miles. I smell a CU BLOWOUT. Learn to select your rival more wisely Miles.

1. Interesting_perspective says:

Joey….are you another one of those “hardcore” creighton fans that was wearing red watching the husker game today? Just curious……

1. Erik says:

I don’t know whether Joey is a Jaysker or not, but there are PLENTY of Creighton fans who do not like UNL at all, in any way. We hate Jayskers as much as you do.

1. Interesting_perspective says:

There’s another jaysker posting at the bottom of the page I thnk. I really think that’s why I hate creighton so much…….. They hardly even get their shoes untied after getting home from the husker football game, just to get on here to start ripping NU. It causes my blood pressure to go hrough the roof…..

2. Joe says:

Does it really matter? NU hoops is garbage, has always been garbage, and always will be garbage. Have you seen their practice facility? It’s amazing! Yet, they still can’t land anyone, let alone a solid player in Omaha? Pathetic.

3. joey says:

Well to be honest? I am a KANSAS JAYHAWK , CREIGHTON BLUEJAYS loving BB team guy. In the same token. I am a die hard NEBRASKA CORNHUSKER, and I still LOVE watching the BIG 12 football. So I just LOVE THE SPORT, and I enjoy watching it. As far as what Erik, or Interesting_perspective is ASSUMING? I am a fan…ok. NOT a FANATIC. There is a HUGE difference there. BOTH of you sound like fanatics. I used to live in Omaha, and enjoyed watching them in person and on TV, because I lived in Omaha, AND not too far away from Creighton Univ. 2nd most, I was a Husker fan since 1980 when I started watching NU football with my father. We clapped our hands when they scored, and hung our heads when they messed up. I never cursed and yelled foul language to a TV, nor when they lost, I never let it ruin the rest of my day. Now here’s my question to Erik and Interesting_perspective …ok?
        Since when has it been, a Husker fan isn’t a Husker fan because BOTH of you say so???
        When has it been a rule. Husker FB fans can’t cheer on Creighton BB?? As I remember it? Im in the United States, NOT Cuba. Meaning? I can choose, cheer, or post what I want, when I want, where I want, and how I want. Both of you don’t like Creighton?? Wow, sorry to hear that. Either way? Still YOUR PROBLEM, and NOT mine…Capiche?

2. Rotting The Soul Of Husker Nation says:

Tough talk from a Metro Tech alum.

2. Rob from Omaha says:

Is there a bigger “wannabe” athletic program in the country than Nebraska? Creighton will clean their clocks, and if CU had a football team, they’d kick Husker’s butt in that too.

1. Interesting_perspective says:

…….you tailgate a little too long today rob? Seems like your judgement is a little off….

3. WakeUpHuskerFans says:

Go Tim Miles!

I Hate Creighton!

1. Mike says:

Im sure you do. Often, little brother hates big brother (I.e. Auburn hated Alabama)

4. steve says:

Does Creighton have a basketball team?

1. Tom says:

Creighton does indeed have a basketball team. They can often be found playing in the NCAA tournament in March. It’s easy for Husker fans to miss that, since the concept of playing basketball in mid to late March is quite foreign.

5. Mike says:

Not very smart. Then again, a coach that couldn’t win a conference road game against a team with an above .500 record or whose (by far) best team loses by 25 to Murray State in the first round of the Dance, should be considered a savior of the worst basketbal team in a BCS conference. Who is going to win an NCAA tourney game first UNL or Northwestern?

1. dougzilla says:

Interesting, the more important question with UNO joining the Summit league, who will A) make the ncaa tournament first (UNO not eligible till 2015)
      B) win a ncaa tournament game
      My vote is for UNO, it seems Nebtraska basketball wants respect it doesn’t deserve yet. Win something, anyhting and then you can chirp on about the glorious basketball team!

6. Dan says:

All I have to say to that man is GOOD LUCK… Go Jays!!!