Published Saturday, September 22, 2012 AT 8:14 PM / Updated at 9:29 PM
Tom’s Takes: Nebraska 73, Idaho State 7
Tom Shatel Omaha World-Herald

A building block: I hope the money was worth it for both sides on Saturday. Yes, many Huskers got valuable playing time, and that’s a good thing. But if you’re a Nebraska football coach, I don’t know how you can look at that game and see how your team can build off it. NU did a lot of good things. But, as a fan sitting next to me Saturday said, “This is the spring game we didn’t have.”

Lots of runners: Rex Burkhead got eight carries, and in this game, it seemed more than enough. Rex looked like himself early, and there was no reason to risk injury in this one. The yards will come harder, starting next week. But I like the selection in NU’s backfield. Imani Cross ran well. And Braylon Heard has great instincts, maybe the best of the bunch. There’s a lot to like there.

Where’s the restroom: It’s a college football stadium, and there’s not much you can do in the way of renovations in most areas of the stadium. One thing I noticed, from the peanut gallery way up high, is that you had to walk a long way to find a restroom or a concession stand. And there weren’t a lot of those downstairs, either.

About Tom Shatel

Tom Shatel is a columnist for The Omaha World-Herald. You can get in touch with Tom on Twitter (@tomshatelOWH), or send him an email at tom.shatel@owh.com.

Comments

1. Monica Bruns says:

Tom, I miss opening the World Herald and hitting the sports section first and reading your column. I moved to Washington state 3 yrs ago. Thank God for the internet. I still bleed Husker red out here..proud to have my personalized plates…HUSKERZ. Was surprised to know HUSKERS was already taken. But then found out about Washingtonians for Huskers. Big Red Nation is all over! YAY! Keep up the great work Tom! Monica Bruns

1. Al Z says:

I miss opening the paper & reading your column too. I live in Ashland, which is appearantly the same as getting it delivered in Washington State. After getting late or no paper 2-3 times a week for a few month, I decided to stop getting it after 25 years of delivery. See ya online when I have time I guess. You’re always a great read.

2. Waskel Wabbit says:

Three things we learned:

1) Idaho St. wil do ANYTHING for $600K

2) Bo’s Huskers can demolish an overwhelmingly inept and vastly inferior team

3) Andrew Green still sucks!

1. Rotting The Soul of Husker Nation from the Inside says:

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and he carries his banners openly. But the traitor moves among those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the galleys, heard in the very hall of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor—he speaks in the accents familiar to his victims, and wears their face and their garment, and he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation—he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of a city—he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to be feared.

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

1. Waskel Wabbit says:

Wow! I’m impressed! Do you like gladiator movies?

3. Frank Castle says:

I think we should all have expected a score like this at the very least. Concerns me that UCLA lost to O State yesterday. Since the Big10 is weak this year, I would EXPECT Huskers to run the table in this conference, unless mediocrity is now the norm. If they don’t run the table, it would be an embarrassment to the Nebraska name and tradition and they should then rip the N’s off their helmets the remainder of the season. It’s already an embarassment to be associated with the BIG10 conference from a football standpoint.

ND beat Michigan yesterday. . . who would have thought ND might have a better defense than NU? I hope Bo took notes. ATTACK the QB and don’t be afraid of a running QB. Let’s bring back the speed we were known for in the BIG 8/12 rather than conform to the “BIG slow”.

1. Rotting The Soul of Husker Nation from the Inside says:

The “fans” on these blogs concern me.

1. A Fan says:

Pointless. Thanks.

4. Frank Castle says:

KState beat OU yesterday and they look like a legit top 15 team. Hmmm. . . that’s funny. Bill Snyder just returned to KState TWO seasons ago and turned them around. How come he didn’t need more than five seasons to get “his players” into the system. My point being is you don’t need a lot of time to see a quality coaching staff at work. The “need more time” excuse is getting lame for the NU staff. You can’t possibly tell me that KState has better recruits than NU !

1. Rotting The Soul of Husker Nation from the Inside says:

Are you saying that Dr. Tom made a mistake and should have picked Turner Gill over Bo Pelini in 2008?

Please, tell us who you would replace Bo Pelini with from the backseat of your laptop.

Tom Rathman?

1. Doc says:

He should of picked a coach that has experience and can bring in experienced coordinators. This isn’t or shouldn’t be a school for first time coaches. Should of went after Brian Kelly or others that were available at the time. This team will continue to avg 8-9 wins a year and fans are fine with that. How expectations have dropped.

2. Jason says:

Believe it or not, quality coaches without ties to NU are out there. However, you have summed up Tom Osborne’s coaching search perfectly: Bo or Turner. There was nothing national about it.

3. A Fan says:

Should of done what Alabama and Michigan did. Get a coach with head coaching experience.

1. VanCleef says:

Michigan is 2 and 2 right now. What’s your point?

2. mobb49 says:

What happens when snyder really retires or dies of old age, Just like last time the team is built entirely off of jc players and just like last time snider coached their teams went 11-2 one year and 7-5 another year and played for a conferance championship twice and never played for a NC. Another 80 year old Fart who wont accept that the past is the past. If you like snyder so much then move to manhattan and stop pretending to be a husker fan.

1. redark says:

Snyder has no choice but to go the jc route. Not many kids could be in Manhattan for 4 or 5 yrs without suicidal thoughts. Manhattan makes Lincoln look like Vegas. The guy does a hell of a job coaching, you got to admit it.

1. A Fan says:

Yes, he does. A great coach.

3. joey says:

Thanks Frank!!! You are now seeing my point from an OPEN MIND. Thanks, and yes, you are correct.

5. mobb49 says:

no consistency, no national championships no big twelve championships, do you in your senile mind realize that Bo has coached in just as many CC games as Snyder has. Do your research before you post.

6. CalDre says:

I think unless Bo goes on a Valium regiment, recruiting will continue to suffer, and I think the players cannot be fully motivated. Who wants to play for a coach who regularly becomes a raving barbarian on national television? Bo speaks about discipline and control, but where is his? Grow up and coach by example, Bo, your uncontrolled rage and rantings are an embarrassment to you and the program!

1. Plattcop2 says:

Well said CalDre. I have oft debated this with Nebraska fans during this egomaniac’s tenure. Pellini’s sideline meltdown’s make all the national sports media highlight shows when they occur. Many “win at all costs” NU fans justify his behavior saying “He’s just showing his passion for the game”; “He’s trying to motivate his players”; He’s just a fiery coach”. Highlight tapes of him stalking officials and screaming the “F”-word at them, getting in player’s faces berating them for a mistake or his abrasive treatment of the media are not signs of an outstanding coach. What parents would want their kid to play in that type of dictitorial atmosphere? Surely the parade of highly touted players that have recently left the program says something? Pellini is an embarrassment to the university. When are NU fans going to wake up and hold him and his coaching staff accountable? Do you ever listen to his excuses after a loss? The same phrases every time: “We just didn’t execute”; “I’m embarrassed for our fans at the way we played”; We just didn’t make the plays we needed to”; ad naseum. The university should make a life sized cardboard cutout of him and place it behind the podium with a tape recorder for post-loss press conferences..

1. A Fan says:

If he wins, with the “meltdowns”… few will care. Pelini does need to work on his media skills.

7. Jerry Sterner says:

Plattcop2, words escape me. At least the ones that are allowed on this forum. His players graduate, they graduate with honors and they don’t get in trouble. And they have won at least 9 games every season. I live in Arizona now and they would kill for a coach who could win 7 games. Why don’t you take your negativity to, oh say, Colorado.