Published Friday, September 28, 2012 AT 3:17 PM / Updated at 7:02 PM
Friday Tailgate
Tom Shatel Omaha World-Herald

In honor of the Ryder Cup, this week’s picks will be neither won nor lost but halved:

1. Nebraska 35, Wisconsin 24: Taylor Martinez — and his arm — get the last laugh this year.

2. Michigan State 21, Ohio State 14: Spartans’ run game and defense over Braxton Miller. Next question.

3. Texas 31, Oklahoma State 21: Nobody is talking about Mack Brown’s Horns — until now.

4. Iowa 20, Minnesota 17: The Hawks are dazed and confused, they struggle with the Gophers, so … this result will just fit right into their season.

5. Iowa State 28, Texas Tech 20: Steele Jantz gets first Big 12 win.

6. Central Florida 31, Missouri 28: Gary Pinkel is starting to feel a bit warm.

7. Six Big Ten teams will win games today. Yes, that includes five conference games.

8. At least one fan at Memorial Stadium will show up wearing one of the new adidas jerseys with the ”N” on it.

9.  Rex Burkhead will look like the Big Ten’s top running back.

10. The Packers-Saints game won’t come down to a Hail Mary.

11. NFL refs will get a standing ovation and booed in the same game.

12. USA fans following Tiger Woods will wear red, white and blue hard hats on Sunday.

About Tom Shatel

Tom Shatel is a columnist for The Omaha World-Herald. You can get in touch with Tom on Twitter (@tomshatelOWH), or send him an email at tom.shatel@owh.com.

Comments

I would really like to see NU 56 WU 17

2. Arby says:

I think you are giving the Bad-gers offense too much credit. They haven’t showed it so far. I think 13 on the outside for them.

3. dude says:

wisconsin 24- Nebraska 17

4. Roger says:

Always nervous when Nebraska alters their uniforms. It hasn’t worked well for them in the past, BUT, that streak has to end some time. NU 28 – UW 10. GBR!

1. Juan Dangler says:

And none of there previous altered uniforms looked good with a cape.

Pelini has to stop the run
    Pelini has to stop the run
    Pelini has to stop the run
    Pelini has to stop the run
    Pelini has to stop the run

1. Joey says:

How??
      How???
      How???
      How???
      How???

smoke and mirrors

6. Joey says:

I don’t think NU is taking this game as serious as Wisc is. Tom I always like what you write. BUT?? You are waaaaay off base. The very 1st thing the Badgers will shut down will be REX. They know he’s about 60% of the offense. True their defense isn’t that fast, but they don’t need to be. Our OL just lets people blast right through. Which showed against Ark St, Southern Miss, UCLA. Rex is ok on speed. Not another L. Phillips. But pretty strong runner. As I said before? It will be who wins in the trenches. Which NU has been struggling in for 5 years now. (offense and defense). All but 1 game, NU has went K-Poot in the 2nd half in scoring. That could work in Wisc favor, if they keep it close. I don’t see NU blowing out Wisc 63-0, 56-14, 49-10, 42-14, 35-17. NU will have to establish what Wisc already said they aim to stop, and that’s REX. NU has to play as good as they did last week. In every game, to win, or just to make it to the BIG title game. Fast defenses, and dual threat QBs, will be the reason NU loses. (Mich, OSU, Mich St)
    Now as far as IOWA over Minn?? Tom, please, be realistic. IOWA can’t handle Minn. Mich St?? I seriously doubt it Tom, they’re good. But not that good.. OSU, is the team to beat. Mich will fall to them as well. Texas over Okl St??? Tom were you tired when typing this?? Okl St or Kan St will be the BIG 12 champs this year. Ol Macky is washed up. Kan St is looking pretty good this season. UCF over Mizzou?? Are you serious??? UCF does NOT even have the speed of what Mizzou has on offense and defense Tom. You made some very wild choices Tom..lol.I pray NU wins. I can’t stand Wisc (great rival though). I see a low scoring game, due to both sides shutting down the running game. 24-21 NU wins.

1. john says:

iowa just kicked minn.’s butt lol shows how much you no

1. Joey says:

Hey john I made 1 bad pick. That’s it. I said all any team has to do to beat OSU or Mich, is stop their QB’s. Mich St, and Ala proved my theory SPOT ON. I said NU will LOSE to Mich, Mich St, and OSU. Simply because they are way to fast and strong for NU to handle. I said my reasons why. That I am SPOT ON again. If NU makes it to a bowl game, and plays a SEC team? LOSS #4, unless it’s Mizzou they play..lol.. Just as I predicted 9-4. So far Bo is proving me right every single season. Now? Let’s look at your resume..ok? “shows how much you no” 1st of all? If you were to ask a woman out? She may say NO…ok? BUT? Bo hasn’t proved me wrong yet., so yea, it shows I do KNOW. Next time? Spell check, like everyone rants about my grammar. ;) you KNOW.

7. Steven Evon says:

Get rid of the hat dude, you look like a typical Nebraska Dork!

OMG!!!!!!!!! BREAKING BIG 10 NEWS!!!!!!!!! Quick everyone, turn your T.V. on to ESPN2 Iowa is getting ready to win a ‘Pig’ Trophy!!!!!!!

I was thinking since NU has joined the recruiting dead zone, known as the big slow, and has basically sold its national championship aspirations for the fixed income of BTN, could the blue hairs of the big slow create a NU/Wisconsin trophy? I was thinking something like a Bronze Steamroller, or a Crystal Tortoise, how about a solid Oak Tombstone?

9. A Husker says:

tackle
    tackle
    tackle
    tackle
    tackle
    …remember???

They did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Iowa won the the the, something something Pig Trophy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WOW!!! That’s quality football right there, i’ll be able to tell my grandkids i watched that game!!!!!