Published Monday, October 1, 2012 AT 10:42 AM / Updated at 11:05 AM
Recruiting: Prospects react to big weekend, win over Wisconsin

Nebraska’s 30-27 win over Wisconsin doubled as the biggest recruiting weekend in years — certainly the biggest of the Bo Pelini era — with the Huskers hosting a variety of committed and uncommitted prospects. Of the non-commits, none were bigger — literally and metaphorically — than the three offensive tackle targets in town, David Knevel, Kenny Lacy and Christian Morris.

Lacy and Morris are both UCLA commits, but that doesn’t mean much, considering they always intended to take their NU visits, and the Bruins probably just put on the hard sell to get their commitments. Did the Nebraska visit change their minds?

According to 6-foot-6, 285-pound Morris — the ringleader of the three, I suspect, and the one who had the best overall frame — the answer is yes.

“The visit kind of made me reconsider UCLA a little bit,” Morris told Huskers Illustrated. “I’m still open-minded to other teams. It’s UCLA, Nebraska and Oklahoma.”

Lacy – a four-star listed at 6-foot-6, 270 pounds by probably two inches shorter than Morris – told Husker Online he liked his trip as well.

“I was very impressed by the facilities they have and the resources they have academically for their players. Their sports medicine facilities were very impressive to me too…I also liked the schemes they play with. During the game, their players kept playing hard and I felt that I could fit in there.”

David Knevel, a 6-foot-8, 290-pound tackle who  might be close to a five-star if he played in the United States, rated his visit a 9 out of 10, according to Huskers Illustrated. He’ll still take his visit to Purdue next week, but Nebraska made a big enough impression that you can expect the Huskers to make a final list.

Other visitor reactions from the weekend:

Dominic Walker: The 6-foot-2, 195-pound wide receiver was committed to Vanderbilt. Well, Vandy still stinks and Nebraska made major inroads with the three/four-star talent.

“It was great,” Walker told Husker Online. “It was a good experience. I love the coaches and I loved hanging out with the players and everything. They treated me well. All I can say is Nebraska, I’m really considering it and it made me think about opening back up my options.”

Walker told HO he’ll take visits to Cincy and Missouri, but NU is in his top three. Nebraska has a chance here.

J.D Hinnant: The offensive guard prospect from Fountain Valley, Calif. — listed at 6-foot-5, 260 pounds but not that tall or probably that heavy — told HI his visit was “amazing” because of the crowd, the tour of the Student Life Center and a short meeting with head coach Bo Pelini.

“It went really well because he was very straight forward with us,” Hinnant said. “That was the first time I’ve really had a 1-on-1 talk with him. I know he’s a more defensive minded coach, but he’s a real good guy.”

Hinnant has a visit still to take to Oregon.

JoJo Kemp: The 5-foot-10, 190-pound all-purpose back is now reconsidering his commitment to South Florida after a Nebraska visit surpassed his expectations.

“Nebraska surprised me big time, there’s no doubt about that,” Kemp told HI. “First things you think of are middle of nowhere, cold and country with cornfields. When you actually get here it’s like wow. It’s real nice here just like in Florida.”

Dashon Hunt: The 5-foot-9, 175-pound consensus four-star corner from Thousand Oaks, Calif., seemed sold on NU’s big-game atmosphere.

“I’ve never been in an atmosphere like that,” he told HI. “I knew that they have had sold out stadiums, but I didn’t know it was like that. Getting that experience in person was a really big thing.”

Hunt praised NU secondary coach Terry Joseph as “down to earth” and a guy who “doesn’t sugarcoat anything.”

Shelby Christy: The 6-foot-3, 190-pound wide receiver from Geismar, La., is committed to Mississippi State. A visit to Nebraska did nothing to change that. Lincoln may simply be too far away.

“I really want family to be able to watch me play,” Christy told HI.

Out of the whole bunch, I was most impressed with the frames of Morris, Knevel and Lacy. It’s crucial the Huskers get one of them, but landing Morris could get them all three. NU might have the best chance with Hinnant, Kemp and Walker.

Comments

1. hskrpwr13 says:

In-depth update, Sam. Thanks.

We beat an unranked team who almost lost to northern iowa, lost to Oregon State, and escaped with a win over utah state, in historical come from behind fashion.
    It would so be nice if our players and staff acted like they have been there before………..well, Um.

1. stevesdenver says:

If we can hold onto the ball, continue to improve on defense and Abdullah or perhaps someone else would return every punt, we could have a pretty stellar season. The punt returns are REALLY killing us. I concur that is a lot of what ifs, but who knows.

When Pelini was hired 5 years ago, if you were to tell me 5 years from now NU would be struggling to stay in the top 25 by beating cellar dwelling Big slow teams, i would not have believed you.
        Jamrog, could you please schedule more Idaho States?!!!

1. Colorado Springer says:

You are so right devil! Now go find a good team to root for and leave the rest of us alone to enjoy our little victories. You are so much more deserving of a great team with your crystal clear analysis and advanced knowledge than we scotch drinking wretches. Good luck with your new program. I am sure I speak for the 75% to 80% who support the program as it is with our never ending hope for the future but love for what we have.

1. VanCleef says:

OUCH!!!! Burned! Now that’s solid!!!

2. nccornhusker says:

Great comment! GO BIG RED!

3. R says:

..Don’t speak for me Colorado Flinger…

4. Dave says:

COSer, get a life and act like a grown up. Look at his comment objectively and there’s a lot of truth to it. Just because a person is frustrated that we’re still quite mediocre, doesn’t make that person less of a fan. I’d venture to say they’re a bit more of a fan, because they care enough to question why we’re becoming Iowa, instead of being content to believe the spin that losing four games a year and being borderline unranked is “The Nebraska Way”. It’s those who don’t care how mediocre we’ve become who I question as fans.

2. A Fan says:

Amen Dave. The next four games will give a good indication of where this program is headed. If we can’t win the Big 10 this year… a year where the Big 10 has probably it’s best team (OSU) on probation and the rest are not that good… then when do we win it? I think OSU and either Northwestern or MSU beats us. We should beat Michigan. If we have only 2 losses in conference, I think that gets us to the title game.

2. ME says:

We beat a conference opponent after over coming numerous first half mistakes. How is are our players acting like they haven’t “been there before??” Moreover, what does that have to do with this article?

3. UltimaRatioRegum says:

CD – nice to see you up to your usual form; we know we can count on you.

Yeah, manic depressant!

4. TRUEHuskerfan says:

You yet again fill up internet space with the same stuff you always say…. notice how nothing has changed, and wont change? I love it, cause as long as Pelini is here, you will be disgruntled. I only hope its long enough for you to quit being a “fan”

1. I EAT BADGER says:

Very true, True.

2. A Fan says:

Keep those 9 – 4 seasons coming, baby. And a trip to the Jerkwater USA bowl. Nebraska is back!

5. keith says:

I hate you! You are the most negative down talking person I have ever come across! You never have ONE thing to say about the Huskers! Do you realize that YOU ALONE could single handedly ruin a chance at a decent recruit! You are unbelievable! Go away!!!

1. VanCleef says:

I think it really is his twisted undermining plan. “If I can scare off good recruits, Pelini struggles then loses his job” Right NUCORNSMUT? Lil Joey? A Fan? Sorry, recruits can see right through this childish hater drivel.

You didn’t see the look of impending doom on Pelini’s face in the first half of that game?
          He was thinking of me.

1. VanCleef says:

He had a look on his face like, “Did I just read another Corndevil comment or do I have an onset of explosive diarrhea in the works?”

6. G Love says:

Oregon State is 3-0, with wins over UCLA, and an OK ST team that should have beat Texas last week.

Nebraska winning this game must have been so painful for you. Give yourself and the rest of us a break and quit watching . I mean it you would be a happier person

7. Coach Spirit Warrior Husker says:

Hmm! It seems that CD is being overly critical! I left a post on wisconsin a day before the game! I posted in regards to DE-Gilbert comments towards T-Magic and the Huskers.
      When a person spouts negativity they get negativity back in return in Tidal waves.
      I stated:
      Taylor Martinez would have another game of his life.against the Badgers. He did! But what I saw in his eyes in the 3rd quarter was that he realized he was part of something bigger and he reacted with a positive intent as he has most of his life! The way he helped his father and younger brothers in his life is a statement that this young man is a “Spirit Warrior”!
      What I saw in his eyes and the rest of the team in those moments was the rebirth of “Championship Corn Husker Football”!
      T-Magic and company are re-born and Nebraska football as we know it is back!
      So CD think positive intent and reap the benefits of a positive attitude.

Attitude is Everything

“The greatest discovery of an individual is that a human being can change their life by altering their attitude.” The within I can do-the intrinsic discovery! I can persevere!
      I believe this with all my Spirit & Heart, and over the years I have seen it happen many times over and over. What most people fail to realize is that your attitude not only impacts your happiness, health and your success, it also can impact the happiness and success of all the people around you, your family, your friends, and your peers at work. Attitudes truly are contagious, and from time to time we need to ask ourselves…”is mine worth catching?”
      This, however, I know for sure it’s not always easy to stay positive. Attitude is everything! The battle to maintain a positive attitude in any given situation is essential to living a good life. The Authenticity of one’s self projection of being true to one’s self is a 24 hour battle during our life-time. To develop the ability to project a positive intent at will during your life time is an accomplishment that will perpetuate your awareness into your final challenge death. To discover that you can move into infinity with a happiness of knowing “I now know who I am “! Wow! That is truly & really the reason for living -so live good and do purposeful things to enjoy a purposeful life. After all the life force of Infinity doesn’t care what you know, Infinity just wants to know that you care! When your purpose is unselfish and true your attitude will be your “Samurai sword” folded over many time by life’s tribulations to allow you to use the freedom of a Positive/Caring attitude to overcome any situation. As a survivor of many fire fights in the jungles of Vietnam and my many near death experiences, has truly taught me that this is true.
      A Positive Attitude will overcome any situation!
      “Spirit Warrior”
      Coach V.
      3/22/25th Attitude is Everything

A Positive Attitude will overcome any situation!
      “Spirit Warrior”
      Coach V.
      3/22/25th Division survivor of some of the battles portrayed in the movie Platoon.
      Native American Sports wrestling
      USA Deaf Wrestling Natl. Director

Enjoy this great season!

3. Waskel Wabbit says:

“It’s real nice here just like in Florida.” JoJo, would love to have you, but when signing day rolls around, I think you might not feel the same way.

NUCORNMAN for president!

1. Bill says:

The hilarious thing about that comment is that he thinks Florida is nice.
      At least this keeps the bar low for Nebraska by comparison.

4. CornJunkie says:

Our guys just wanted to tease them into thinking they had a chance. With all the special uniforms and TV exposure….let’s make the game exciting.

I do love the Helmuts, would like to see an all black with red trim uniform.

1. Husker fan 2012 says:

No one cares what u want or would like to see

Tee, hee hee!!!!

1. A Fan says:

When you take a powder, don’t forget your purse.

2. 1955marine says:

dumbass!

5. Tripduz says:

Wisky isn’t that bad. Changing Obrien for Stave might save their season and get them 7-8 wins. They have probably the second best Dline/LB we will see all year, and we wore them down by late 3rd quarter. It wasn’t impressive because of the turnovers and penalties which continue to plague us. Get those taken care of and this could be a 10 win Husker team. And then all you crybabies will have to suck up that g-string you’re wearing for a few more years. Next two years of the schedule are pretty favorable and I see no less than 9 wins till 2015!

We love you coach Bo and staff!!! GBR!!!

1. dude says:

Good post.

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Waskel Wabbit says:

Do you go to bed with a picture of Bo?

1. BallField78 says:

Derek

2. Tripduz says:

No picture of Bo but I’ve met him and he gives me sideline passes to any game I want. The guy is a humble, down to earth, hard worker. I respect the coaches and the time they give to do the best they can. Nobody wants to win more than them. What I can’t stand is a crybaby that sits on the computer and does nothing but ridicule a team they are supposed to be “fans” of. They second guess every call as if they could do better and are truly parasites to the program. How would you like it I I came to your job and complained about how long it took you to make my whopper?!?!

Either be a fan through the good and the bad or find a team that wins all the time and join them, for the love!!! It ain’t how you drive it’s how you arrive buddy…

1. VanCleef says:

I’m jealous! Give him our thanks. From “Real Fans.”

1. Tripduz says:

Yeah it’s pretty sweet. I’ve been on the sidelines for the 300th consecutive sellout vs LaLafayette. Vs Washington last year. And vs So Miss this year. I also sat in Bo’s suite two years ago vs Idaho. You can check my Facebook to see some of the pics and videos. Search Jason Smith (Trip Smith) from Augusta GA.

2. Huskermaniac says:

Yea corndevil you can change your name to UAtidedevil and complain about how bad Saban is! I think that would make most of us happy.

3. Butch says:

9 wins, whoop-dee-do. Deliver some goods, 9 wins and no conference titles and blah bowl games don’t mean squat.

1. Tripduz says:

I said no less than 9 wins, meaning I like our chances at a conf champ in the next couple of years. This isn’t the Big 6 or 8 that Tom coached in. There are good teams everywhere and it takes some lucky bounces and great play week in and week out. We are in good hands though as no coach will outwork Bo. If you think you can magically produce titles, by all means, take that g-string off and send in your résumé corndevil …(I mean Butch)….

1. A Fan says:

More of the tired, sorryaxx comparsion to Osborne. Here’s a newsflash… Pelini will never be Osborne. The W/L records over their first 5 years prove it. You can excuse away 4 loss seasons all you want… but in the end we still have 4 losses. And we’re still ranked around 20th at the end of the year. That’s not the record of an elite program. It’s decent… and that’s about it.

4. A Fan says:

Funny… that’s not what the Nebraska fans were saying before the game. Before the game, the fans were saying the Cornhuskers in an easy win… because the Badgers weren’t the good. Now that we struggle to win… Wisconsin is suddenly a very good football team.

More excuses.

1. BigRedBoss says:

Take away the two stupid fumbles in our own territory and that stupid mistake hitting the kicker on 4th and long that ended in another Wisky score, and it is a 30-10 game. That is assuming we wouldn’t score off of the two fumble possessions, which I am sure we would have got points off of at least one of them…regardless, it happened. But with that in mind, we won handily.

6. BobB says:

NU dominated the stats. But two fumbles, and those two avoidable penalties (roughing the punter and running into the receiver) kept Wiscy in the game. Give them credit for taking advantage of those plays, but almost have to eliminate all miscues to beat OSU at their house. Doable, but it will take, in my 5 year old grandson’s word, FOCUS!

1. A Fan says:

Agree. Not sure why we have so many problems getting out the gate in these big games.

7. Hskrbll says:

The recruits had to have had a great time. Who wouldn’t love that atmosphere? Coudn’t get to the game this week so I watched on my B1G screen with surround sound . I turned down the Center (voice) channel and cranked the crowd noise from the other 5 speakers.. With the big screen and Bose speakers, it felt like we were there… Hell, a foil-wrapped Fairbury even came flying through the window…

Super idea!

1. VanCleef says:

There’s some commentary on here I would like to be able to tune out too.

2. Tripduz says:

Now that’s funny!

1. HuskerRed says:

You missed out!! I decided last weekend to go back for this game, best decision I’ve made since going back for the ohio st game last year! The place was absolutely nuts!! Can’t wait to hear it next year when then east side is done!

8. Max says:

The reality is they have a pattern of fumbling and making those type of mistakes under Pelini. Look at past stats and adjust your g-string Tripduz.

1. Tripduz says:

I said “continue to plague us”, so why would I need to look up past stats? Seems I struck a nerve with you. You must be one of those whiny girls that have to cry about somebody else to make their own self feel better. Grab a tissue for this poser, his g-string is waaaay up there!!!!

1. VanCleef says:

Cross dressers do become defensive when confronted about their habits.

9. Cowboy Bob Ellis says:

I’m pretty tired of the “We didn’t play our best. We need to clean up our mistakes.“ lines. Print on paper and hand it out. Seems we never play our best unless we play Idaho St. That and the “Taylor is developing” bs. He will be developing during the bowl game he loses in his senior year. Move on dot org.

1. NU FB says:

I don’t care how good a QB is, he will always be continuously learning and developing as a QB. Ask Peyton Manning.

And not sure how you can dog Taylor Martinez. He played pretty damn well on Saturday night.

2. HuskerRed says:

They named T-Mart B1G offensive player of the week and that is not good enough for you? Personally, I enjoyed the heck out of the game. Not perfect, but that isn’t my expectation. It was a blast and I’m looking forward to doing it again next week.

3. VanCleef says:

If you’re tired of them, Colorado could use a few extra fans.

4. Tripduz says:

“Cowboy Bob Ellis”!!!! That is one if the funniest corndevil clone names yet!!! Hilarious!

10. doc c says:

For all you Bo haters (corndevil) out there. Did you know Bo Pelini is 1 of only 6 division one football coaches in history to start his first 4 seasons with at least 9 wins. We are finally starting to get recruits with the bodies to compete on a big time level. Give it two years and we wll be back consistently in the top 10. Look on the bright side, we will never be as bad as Colorado is right now.

1. Muletrane says:

Doc…you are right on. Lets hope the recruiting picks up and we can get some Cali, Texas, and steal some SEC boys. Then a consistent top 10 will be attainable.

You may as well save this post for next year, and the next, and the next, and the next…….

3. A Fan says:

Yes, we’ll never be as bad as CU. Is that the standard? I thought the plan was to get back to the top shelf. Give it another two years is what we heard two years ago. Where are we now? What makes you think in 2014 we’re going to be any better than what we’ve been the last few years (4 losses per year)?

1. Don’t lose to teams you shouldn’t. Answer – we already did that to UCLA this year. Just like we’ve done the preceding 2 or 3 years.
      2. If you do get beat, be competitive. We were competitive against UCLA for one half. Any team that put 600 yards on you is kicking your butt.
      3. We should be better at the end of the year, fewer mistakes, sharper execution, etc. The jury is out on that this year. Did that happen last year? In 2010?

Nebraska has a better offense this year, may be the best offense of Pelini’s time here. But the defense has regressed. The appearance is… we fix one thing (offense) and holes appear in other areas (defense or special teams). Understand the assistant coaches are young and learning. Not sure why a program of Nebraska’s stature has unknown coaches at DC and OC. It is what it is.

May be the head coach job at Nebraska is not as big a lure around the country as we think. I think we’re seeing the Pelini standard for this program. 4 losses per year. 9 or 10 wins. That’s not bad, but it’s going to be difficult to win conference titles with that kind of record every year.

11. Muletrane says:

NU has a recruiting problem which leads to an on the field problem. We have many so called “four star recruits” who turn out to be 2nd or 3rd stringers or busts. Cowboy hit the nail on the head…when is Martinez going to be ready instead of developing. I know you are never fully ready and you are always “developing” but lets call it learning from the previous mistakes and not doing it again. T-Mart has figured out how not to throw such horrific passes off his back foot in crowds (to a point anyway). Its the small mistakes that kill us every time and most of them are mental breakdowns. That is a coaching problem. Coaches need to have the kids mentally ready in all aspects from blocking to not fumbling. Its obvious Bo has mental issues as he has no public relations what so ever with the media, they are just a nuisance to him. If we can fix the small stuff, the rest will take care of itself, including winning. That is what happened on Saturday night. Granted it was less than mediocre Wisconsin, I do think the Huskers can win the Big 10 if they can eliminate all the mental mistakes. That is asking a lot though from a team who has a coach who can chew the ass off a rhino in three bites….although he does have a heart after watching him with the 2 boys right before the team came out onto the field, giving those 2 boys fist bumps before leading the team out was a class act. Well done Bo.

12. Waskel Wabbit says:

Why the hate. We love you!

13. andy says:

I consider myself a cynical fan at times, maybe that’s just me being realistic about a few things. but this devil character is worthless. just worthless. his reputation alone makes everything he says meaningless. the best thing anyone can do is ignore him completely. you want to really piss off someone trying to pick a fight with you? literally ignore them. that is all I will say on this. anyone else agree?

14. Tripduz says:

It’s pretty clear that most of the hate is from the same person under different names. They are probably fans of either Colorado or Iowa and know its easy to rile up Neb fans. Plus nobody talks about Iowa or Colirado football so they are lonely souls. Well….if it helps ya sleep at night I say go for it!

15. Kansahusker says:

Corn Devil has more recognition of football than the rest of you kool aide drinkers.His only sin is he is too blunt and hurts your wittle feelings. I want the Huskers to win and be able to beat good fast teams and for god sakes be able to stop or control a scrambling quarterback.I’ve always said new Coach deserves 5 years to develope his team and BO is on year 5 and we will judge better by the end of the season.As much as i would like to see NU beat Ohio state next week i’m afraid the likely hood of another game like at Michigan last year may be the results. Lets hope i’m wrong really bad wrong.

1. VanCleef says:

“Corn Devil has more recognition of football than the rest of you kool aide drinkers.”….Really? Says you and who else?

1. Tripduz says:

Says him and his 17 other aliases. Corndevil why are you patting yourself on the back? Is this really a self reach-around? Why yes, yes I think it is!!!

1. R says:

I jest love…watching Corn Devil make your shorts shrivel and pack down tight in your B-cracks!!

Lord, if it weren’t for Corn Devil, et al, you folks would “agree” yourselves right into a National Championship–year in / year out.

Ripping a page from Muhammed Ali—
          “He brings perspective,…… so you folks can have your Invective…”.

Wisky was a nice win–but we were 13-15+ pt favorites…and only won by 3 ??

OSU will be the test.

2. A Fan says:

It’s interesting how you can’t let it go. You don’t care for CD’s comments, and yet you have to try and rebut them. CD could post something good about Nebraska football (and he has done that), and you’d argue with that. I get you’re a Kool Aid drinker. That you believe Nebraska will get better with Pelini at the helm. That there’s always next year.

The world is full of 55 mph people.

16. Bahama-Bpb says:

I am having trouble understanding the Martinez bashers. They must be WNBA fans and not understand football. The man is completing over 65% of his passes, has something like 13 TDs and only one interception, is averaging well over 300 yards per game, has great feet and speed, he will hold the total offense and passing offense records for NU before he is done. It is time for the bashers to give the man his dues, he is a stud.

1. VanCleef says:

And it’s time for NUCORN, lil’ Joey and “A Fan” to kiss Pelini’s feet!

1. A Fan says:

Not bad… for mediocre.

2. A Fan says:

The only stat that counts is wins. As in winning titles.

17. Stevesdenver says:

I would like to hear comments on Abdullah on punt returns. He killed us with ucla and wisky. Can we get a little better field position if we actually return the ball?

18. Foghorn says:

Made my Grand Daughter a rabid fan and kept telling her it was early. Sure glad I was right!!! The only mistake I saw was Bo not reviewing the catch at the goal line. I am positive it was a catch tho. A fan forever GBR. p.s. I too strongly elieve that neg posts are read by recruits and do effect their decisions so please be careful what is posted. GBR

19. stevesdenver says:

Any of you geniuses care to address one of the most glaring weaknesses we have, punt returns? Think UCLA think Wisky. Abdullah is great on KO returns, but I think he lacks the sack to do punt returns. Is Tim Marlowe still out? How about trying Turner. Ideas?

20. sdk says:

You all need to quit talking about the past. It’s a waste of time. We have good coaches and good talent, Going forward, we as all teams must execute at a high level to meet our expectations. Bad calls and injuries we cannot control and part of the game. Watching the Huskers improve each week is all we should hope for. The final record will reflect how well we develop as a team.