I’ve been to a lot of stadiums and sat in a lot of game-day traffic jams. But I’ve never taken a subway to a game before. Tomorrow will be a first.
To get to Northwestern, I’m going to hop on the Red Line in downtown Chicago, then transfer onto the Purple Line, which takes you into Evanston and drops you off a few blocks from Ryan Field. If you guessed that it’s called the Purple Line because of Northwestern, give yourself a star. I’m looking forward to it.
1. Nebraska 49, Northwestern 35: Everyone thinks this will be a track meet. Both teams will try and run and pass and do both as quickly as possible. I think a subway analogy is appropriate. And I like the Red Line.
2. Michigan 27, Michigan State 13: I know Sparty’s defense plays Mr. Robinson tough. But it’s in the Big House and there’s a lot of pent-up frustration in blue.
3. Kansas State 49, West Virginia 45, 2 OT: Word of warning to purple people going to this game: don’t sit on that couch, it might be burning. Coach Bill Snyder slows this one down, then Collin Klein finds a way.
4. Florida 24, South Carolina 21: Old Ball Coach returns to the Swamp for the SEC East title game. But rule of the swamp is, they eat their own.
5. Ohio State 42, Purdue 21: Boilers are reeling. Braxton is running down field.
6. Oklahoma 77, Kansas 7: Charlie Weis forces the Daily Kansan to stop publishing.
7. Florida State 42, Miami 24: Wonder how the AD search is going?
8. Iowa 21, Penn State 20: Both teams are rolling. Kinnick crowd will heal Weisman’s ankle.
9. Oklahoma State 24, Iowa State 17: Pokes get their revenge for last year — barely.
10. Pepperoni and sausage pie tonight at Giordano’s.
11. Chicago 35, Detroit 17: Suh in the house, Husker fans admiring Soldier Field Galactica, and mostly, a Bears team that can be a major factor in the NFC.
12. San Diego has a bye week but Philip Rivers has two picks and loses a fumble.