It’s Retro Week at the Tailgate. Here’s to coaches named Bo, legendary names like Osborne and Schembechler, classic helmets, traditions, fans and stadiums, with a bonus retro pick this week.
1. Nebraska 27, Michigan 17: Bo Pelini has one of these games every season, right about this time, where everything comes together. Signature win. Big Game Bo. Whatever. Night game, home game, NU offense better than UM defense. Pelini gets a pelt for his office.
2. 1997 Nebraska 31, 1997 Michigan 14: I’ve always said the tiebreaker was NU beating Peyton Manning in the bowl game while the Wolverines beat Ryan (Cryin’) Leaf. Maybe that’s the bitter Charger fan coming out. Ahman Green and his offensive line would have been the tiebreaker in this dream match-up.
3. Kansas State 24, Texas Tech 21: The first big test for K-State the national story. Tubberville’s Raiders play consistent and play big on the road. Collin Heisman will have to play bigger in this one.
4. Penn State 28, Ohio State 21: Two teams with nothing to play for? This will look more like the two best teams in the Big Ten going at it.
5. Oklahoma 28, Notre Dame 17: It’s not who Notre Dame hasn’t played, it’s more that this is the OU team everyone imagined before the season. Darned good.
6. Georgia 24, Florida 21: Mark Richt’s last stand.
7. Wisconsin 24, Michigan State 7: Bucky’s picking up steam now. You wonder how much MSU will have left in the tank for the Huskers next week.
8. Northwestern 28, Iowa 10: It’s hard to know how either of these two will react after last week’s losses, but Wildcats have had the upper hand in this series.
9. Iowa State 31, Baylor 30: I know ISU plays defense and it’s tough to throw at Jack Trice Stadium this time of year. But I think Baylor will drag the Cy’s into a shootout.
10. Taylor Martinez outduels Denard Robinson and makes a case for all-Big Ten quarterback.
11. Tigers take two of three at home and head back to the Bay.
12. Saints 28, Broncos 21: A Super Bowl rematch of quarterbacks. Brees beats Manning again.