Happy Thanksgiving all! I’m thankful for family, friends, health, a job I love, having my father in Omaha again, girls soccer and basketball, college football Saturdays, college football upsets, a Creighton game against a major conference team, the chance to write about the hard-working, humble and genuine athletes and coaches in our area. Last, but not least, I’m thankful nobody remembers any of these picks.
1. Nebraska 31, Iowa 14: I’m not buying the Hawks-in-the-tank theory. Too much pride here. I can’t imagine a Kinnick Stadium half in red and can’t imagine Iowa not putting up a ferocious fight. At least before NU depth and offense take over.
2. Just a hunch, but I think Rex Burkhead makes an appearance today. Couple of series, enough to shake off rust and inspire his team.
3. Ohio 28, That Team Up North 20: A new 10-year war begins.
4. Notre Dame 21, USC 10: If Matt Barkley was playing, it would be temping to pick the upset. But, he’s not.
5. Penn State 24, Wisconsin 17: Good way to end a classy Penn State season. Badgers have one more.
6. Texas 31, TCU 21: This would have been a great national TV stage for Johnny Football to show his stuff. Instead, we get a new Big 12 tradition like no other.
7. Iowa State 34, West Virginia 31: Welcome to Ames, Mountaineers. Welcome to the Big 12, too.
8. Texas A&M 42, Missouri 24: His last name is Manziel, but you can call him Johnny Football. Or, Johnny Heisman.
9. Creighton comes home from Sin City with its shirt and a Las Vegas Invitational title. Jays beat Wisconsin and Arizona State.
10. Akron 2, Creighton 1 in overtime (NCAA soccer playoffs).
11. Bears 24, Vikings 21: Jay Cutler doesn’t play, but the Monsters get a defensive touchdown.
12. Giants 35, Packers 31: Prelude to the playoffs.
13. Ravens 28, Chargers 13: I’m thankful this season is almost over.
14. I will eat too much again on Thanksgiving. That’s the lock of the year.