Published Monday, January 28, 2013 AT 3:08 PM / Updated at 7:51 PM
Recruiting: Marcus McWilson commits to Kentucky on Twitter
Sam McKewon Omaha World-Herald

Nebraska lost a player from 2013 recruiting class who’d been committed for nearly year when Youngstown (Ohio) Cardinal Mooney safety Marcus McWilson made his commitment to Kentucky official on Twitter.

It’s a blow to the Huskers’ class so late in the process. NU may have to scramble to find another safety prospect worth offering, although the Huskers do have D.J. Singleton already enrolled and Nathan Gerry ready to sign next week. Safety’s an important position in the Bo Pelini defense, and McWilson was generally considered the best prospect.

“It was kinda tough,” he told Cats Illustrated of the switch from Nebraska. “With that being said I’m not going there anymore. I had been committed to them for quite a while and in the end it came to me de-committing. The coaches weren’t the happiest but they have to respect my decision.

“Other people are gonna hate you and call you a scumbag over Twitter even though they really don’t know you. I’ll say thank you to those that wished me well, but you’ve got to let the haters hate. I would say anybody has to make sure you make the best decision for you.”

McWilson felt more “comfortable” at Kentucky in part because of former Nebraska graduate assistant Vince Marrow, who coaches tight ends for the Wildcats. NU coaches were supposed to have an in-home visit with McWilson, but apparently that’s been canceled. Perhaps Husker coaches should knock on the door anyway.

About Sam McKewon

Sam McKewon covers Nebraska football for The World-Herald. Got a tip, question or rant? Good. Email him at sam.mckewon@owh.com. And follow him on Twitter at @swmckewonOWH. And call him at 402.219.3790.