Published Sunday, September 1, 2013 AT 12:20 AM / Updated at 12:20 AM
Game Replay: Nebraska 37, Wyoming 34
Steve Beideck Omaha World-Herald

World-Herald correspondent Steve Beideck offers his observations from NU’s 37-34 win over Wyoming.

* * *

Peculiar play

No way is this one in offensive coordinator Tim Beck’s playbook.

On Nebraska’s second drive of the game, the snap from center to Taylor Martinez was low, forcing NU’s senior quarterback to scoop it up and begin scrambling to his right. Martinez was almost out of bounds when it looked as if he was throwing the ball away to avoid a sack.

Instead, the pass, thrown from the NU 31, went through the hands of Husker wide receiver Quincy Enunwa before tight end Jake Long cradled the ball for a 26-yard gain to the Wyoming 31. Had Martinez been sacked, it would have been a 12-yard loss.

What was that?

Public-address announcer Patrick Combs saw the Memorial Stadium clock read :00 and thought the first half was over. But just after he started his “it’s halftime” announcement, referee Eddy Shelton informed the crowd that Wyoming had just taken a timeout.

For a few uncomfortable seconds, the two continued to talk over each other. Once the confused buzz from the crowd subsided, two seconds were put back on the clock and Wyoming took a knee to officially run out the clock.

As the teams left the field, a few boos could be heard. Best guess is that those were aimed either at the officials or Wyoming for calling a timeout to take a knee.


After the double-spin touchdown run by Imani Cross 1:38 into the third quarter, Nebraska took a 24-14 lead. Or was it a 44-14 lead?

Depends on which set of scoreboards you trusted. The correct score was 24-14, and the two clocks at field level had the correct score.

The video boards in the corners of the stadium — as well as the big-screen board in the north end zone — read 44-14. There also were a few seconds during Wyoming’s initial second-half drive when the time clocks weren’t in sync and the video-board clocks went faster to catch up with the field clocks.

Eventually the scores were synchronized, but not before the video boards were at 20 and the field clocks were at zero.

Rave review

Kenny Bell had more catches and Jamal Turner had more yards, but Quincy Enunwa made some spectacular grabs — and toe taps — in the second half that helped the Huskers keep accumulating points.

The senior wide receiver from Moreno Valley, Calif., first caught a 3-yard touchdown pass from Taylor Martinez with 4:08 remaining in the third quarter to put Nebraska up 31-14. It took a video review to count that score after Enunwa initially was ruled out of bounds.

Then a pair of receptions on a drive early in the fourth quarter helped build Nebraska’s lead to 37-21. The first was a 17-yard crossing route that Enunwa had to slightly reach back to grab to give NU first-and-goal at the Wyoming 9.

Two plays later, Martinez threw a dart to Enunwa in the end zone that the 6-foot-2, 225-pound senior embraced for a 7-yard touchdown despite having a Wyoming defensive back on his back. Enunwa finished the game with three receptions for 27 yards.

About Steve Beideck

Steve Beideck is a correspondent for The Omaha World-Herald and covers the Omaha Lancers and high school sports. You can follow Steve on Twitter (@stevebeideck) or email him at