Predictions that nobody will remember (hopefully) by tomorrow:
1. I’ve had this feeling all summer that this is Taylor Martinez’s game. Much like Scott Frost at Washington in 1997, Martinez will have the kind of game that transforms his legacy and puts him on track for a bigger one this season. This is going to be a Taylor kind of game. Fast-paced, track meet, lots of video game stuff. I don’t think Brett Hundley will torch the Blackshirts too bad. But NU’s best defense will be its running game. You can pound it on Pac-12 defenses. I don’t think Tim Beck stuck with it long enough in last year’s game. He will tomorrow. And Mr. Magic, playing a clean game (no turnovers) and picking his spots for big plays, will be the difference.
2. Oh, right. Nebraska 38, UCLA 31.
3. About a third of the crowd wears black tomorrow. It looks good.
4. Alabama 28, Texas A&M 27. In a game of this magnitude, er, hype, I’ll take ‘Bama. And I’ll take A.J. McCarron over the Aggie defense. No Fluker.
5. Iowa State 24, Iowa 21. Misery loves company, especially in a rivalry game.
6. Ohio State 35, Cal 24. Braxton Miller won’t play much in this game, and he won’t have to.
7. Wisconsin 28, Arizona State 24. Tough assignment for the untested Badgers, but the depth in their run game will be the difference.
8. Ole Miss 31, Texas 28. Who’s Mack Brown going to fire this week?
9. Oklahoma State 61, Lamar 10. I’d like to see Lamar come out wearing “Sports Illustrated” on its jerseys.
10. Chiefs 24, Cowboys 21. It may take some Tony Romo turnovers, but Arrowhead magic returns.
11. Bears 31, Vikes 20. Which whipping boy do you like, Cutler or Ponder? I like the Bears defense to do the whipping.
12. Seahawks 35, 49ers 31. The only thing better than this game is that they get to play again later this season.
13. Broncos 31, Giants 24. Eli and the Jints will be desperate, and Peyton will have an off day. “Only” four touchdowns.
14. Eagles 42, Hapless Bolts 14. If you thought the Chargers’ defense was tired last Monday night, you ain’t seen nothing. And with any luck, I won’t see any of this one.