NU athletic director Shawn Eichorst is not talking about coach Bo Pelini’s job status. And University of Nebraska-Lincoln Chancellor Harvey Perlman says that’s OK.
Perlman indicated in a radio interview Tuesday on Lincoln’s KFOR that he supports Eichorst’s decision to withhold public comment until after reviewing the future of the football program. Eichorst has said that kind of all-encompassing evaluation won’t take place until the season ends.
In Perlman’s mind, it’s all standard practice.
“If we get into the position where after every game we have to say, ‘OK, yeah, we still support him’ — then the one game we don’t say anything, everybody’s going to draw a big conclusion about that,” Perlman said.
Only, the silence has led to some speculation lately…
Pelini gathered his team together last week to refute a rumor that he’s already resigned. A recruit (defensive end Peyton Newell) tweeted out a message revealing that NU’s coaches are fielding questions about their futures. Pelini told USA Today recently that recruiting has been negatively affected.
Perlman’s response: “There’s plenty of time between a normal process and the end of recruiting season that these issues become be resolved. This uncertainty doesn’t last forever.”
Pelini discussed the topic again Tuesday during the Big Ten coaches teleconference, saying he’s focused on beating Iowa Friday. Rich Kaipust has the story (with a couple of Pelini contract items included, too).