Before we start our annual Super Bowl Preview, I’d like a round of applause for Molly Schuyler of Bellevue, Neb., who knocked down 363 wings in 30 minutes to win Wing Bowl XXII in Philadelphia. Wing-eaters of the world salute you.
No offense, Molly, but there’s someone you may not want to invite to your Super Bowl party. At least not if you expect to eat any wings.
Now, on with the countdown. An estimated $10 billion is expected to be bet on various forms of the Super Bowl by Sunday. If you’re contributing to the pool, please use the following for entertainment purposes only:
1. How many times will Peyton Manning say “Omaha” during Sunday’s game? O/U: 27.5. I’m going to take the under here. I hope it’s over, and I hope Omaha contributes a huge pile of cash to the Manning foundation. But I anticipate Seattle’s defense forcing some three-and-outs, and the running game on both teams speeding up the clock.
2. Will Renee Fleming wear gloves when she sings the national anthem? (Yes -200, No +150). This prop bet is why I don’t gamble. I’ll say gloves. I mean, it’s an outdoor game, right?
3. Will Richard Sherman get a taunting penalty? (4/1 on yes). I’m going to say no.
4. How many times during the game or pregame show will the broadcast reference or show Sherman’s comments after the NFC Championship game? O/U 5. I say under. At this point, one more is too many.
5. Will the announcers say the word “marijuana?” If Chris Berman was doing the game, I’d venture to say yes. But he’s not. No.
6. How many passing yards will Peyton Manning have? O/U 289. Under. Okay, 288.
7. What kind of hat will Bruno Mars wear during the halftime show? The heavy favorite is fedora. Perhaps the prop bet should have been the over/under on people over 40 who know who Bruno Mars is. Let’s set that at 10. I’m taking the under.
8. How many media types will cover the Super Bowl by watching it on TV sets in the heated press tent? O/U 100. I’m definitely taking the over. The NFL can fit a couple hundred media types in the main press box of a stadium, and the rest (such as yours truly) are sent out to cover the game in the upper deck of the stands. This works well when you are in Phoenix. Outdoors in New Jersey on Feb. 2? Not so much. Look for the tent to be packed. Look for the tent to run out of hot dogs, too.
9. Will a member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers go shirtless? (Even) I think the correct answer here is, as soon as my daughters leave the room.
10. Touchdowns by Russell Wilson: O/U 1.5. Give me over.
11. Touchdowns by Peyton Manning: O/U 2.5. Give me under. Why?
12. Touchdowns by Knowshon Moreno: O/U 1: Over.
13. Will Knowshon Moreno cry during the national anthem? Yes, but you won’t be able to tell because the tears will freeze on his face.
14. My favorite commercial: Bud Light. They consistently have the best spots. And I’m a shareholder. Well, sort of.
15. Will Erin Andrews interview Richard Sherman live? Yes. Come on. This is a TV event.
16. Will Sherman have an interception? No. Manning is too smart to act macho and throw at him.
17. Color of the Gatorade dumped on the winning coach? Orange. Guess why?
18. Denver 27, Seattle 21. I think the running backs will be the story of this game. And Denver’s receivers will spread out Seattle and create some running lanes for…
19. Super Bowl MVP: Knowshon Moreno, 180 yards, 2 TD’s. And then he’ll start crying.
20. Which former Super Bowl hero will bring in the Vince Lombardi Trophy? Bill Parcells.